Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-21-2014, 10:17 AM   #1
Beta Member

Default Missing restore points

When I open System Restore it says no restore points have been created (they used to be there, I don't know why they've gone). It says open System Protection but that says there's an unexpected error in the property page.

I tried to run the procedure given in ComputerActive issue 426, entering 'cmd' in the Start box, then in the DOS screen entering 'sfc/scannow' to see if the restore points could be found, but it says 'you must be an Administrator running a console session in order to use the sfc utility'. I'm logged on as Administrator, but I don't know what a console session is nor how to run one. Help appreciated.

I'm running Win 7 Home on a Lenovo all-in-one PC.

grummle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 03:35 PM   #2
In Runtime

Default Re: Missing restore points

Are you sure there are no optimizing software that is preventing system restore points from being created? I once had a version of mac afee i believe that cleaned out registry and restore points by the system.

Also i want you to take a look at this site System Restore - Enable or Disable - Windows 7 Help Forums Be sure that system restore is enabled on your pc

Clarence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 01:56 PM   #3
Beta Member

Hi Clarence. Thanks for your reply, sorry I've only just got back. I went to the links you suggested. The registry fix didn't help, and unfortunately the Local Group Policy Editor can't be used in Win 7 Home. The configure button in System Properties is still grayed out. Thank you for your help anyhow.

I use Avast antivirus (and Kasperski previously), Malwarebytes and AVG Tuneup Utilities. I don't know if they affect System Restore.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:30 PM   #4
The Candyman

See if this link helps you out.....

Fix Missing System Restore Points in Windows Vista and 7
Old 11-11-2014, 02:46 PM   #5
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

The command prompt in windows 7 doesn't always default to admin level privileges even if your account is an admin. I'd try it again, but when you do the search for "cmd" right click on the result and then select "run as administrator". If you get any user account control pop ups click on through them.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:30 PM   #6
Fully Optimized

I would like to vouch for Celegorm as I completely agree, and add one other thing.
With Win7 a lot of programs will do that, so treat any program that needs FULL administrator access as though they do not have it, even if it says that they do.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:17 PM   #7
Beta Member

I tried all the links you had all suggested but nothing could resolve the problem. I did a search for error 0x81000203 which was given when I tried to open System Properties. I found a post which said that AVG Tuneup Utilities affected System Properties and System Restore when it is in Turbo mode. I couldn't see a way to turn Turbo mode off so I uninstalled the program. Success! System Restore and System Properties are back. I actually thought I would have to reinstall Win 7, which I didn't want to do obviously. Takes us back to Clarence's post of 24.10 about software.

Very happy now. Thank you all for your help. By the way, you were right about Administrator Privilegies. I right clicked in 'cmd' and ran as administrator, and was able to run the search for corrupted files, though none were found.

Thank you all again.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:49 PM   #8
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grummle View Post
I tried all the links you had all suggested but nothing could resolve the problem. I did a search for error 0x81000203 which was given when I tried to open System Properties. I found a post which said that AVG Tuneup Utilities affected System Properties and System Restore when it is in Turbo mode. I couldn't see a way to turn Turbo mode off so I uninstalled the program. Success! System Restore and System Properties are back. I actually thought I would have to reinstall Win 7, which I didn't want to do obviously. Takes us back to Clarence's post of 24.10 about software.

Very happy now. Thank you all for your help. By the way, you were right about Administrator Privilegies. I right clicked in 'cmd' and ran as administrator, and was able to run the search for corrupted files, though none were found.

Thank you all again.
To to hear that you found the issue! And thank you for sharing, we'll need to add it to our list of things to check for in the future.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 06:46 PM   #9
The Candyman

Nice to see you resolved this issue Grummle.