Microsoft names new system Vista

*laughing his ass off* Lord likes xp because it looks pwetty!!

On a side note: the reason it has so many lines of code for the kernal as you stated would be because of the poor programing skills of microsoft employees.

The fact it takes them so many lines to make a kernal is an example of bad coding. Back when space was limited people used it cautiously. when i installed windows xp on my box (worst. mistake. of. my. life. ever.) it took up nearly 3 gigabytes of space. how big is a linux distro?

Please continue this hilarious debate

only reason i use windows is to play some games... otherwise i use my dual boot and choose linux :). Many people only use windows because IT IS very easy to use... but it is also practically mindless. Linux on the other hand requires using the terminal frequently and requires knowledge of the system.

I just can't stand using windows, everytime I use it, I get the impression it was designed for a child. I mean sure the fisher-price interface of XP can be disabled, but the "hold your hand" philosophy of the OS cannot be disabled. I mean the terminal in a windows OS these days has about zero significance to the OS. Not to mention the millions of "wizards" sure this is good for the computer illiterate people, but not for the experienced user. Well then again, *nix is for the experienced users not windows.
elmonomalo said:
Linux on the other hand requires using the terminal frequently and requires knowledge of the system.
Exactly why I like Linux.

Windows is a really dumbed-down OS. I was kinda surprised when I saw a "Windows XP for Dummies" book at a bookstore. I mean, isn't XP already for beginners?

x0r515t said:
List me a respected popular site that requires ActiveX other than a microsoft sponsored site like windows update. Sites that actually require ActiveX are very rare, and I have yet to find one.
Have to admit, they are rare :D Miniclip however is one that uses it well, and many sites with reasonable programmers could use powerful tools like that that help with Gaming like in MSN's Zone, or for Communities, like in MSN Groups' Picture Uploader.

x0r515t said:
It is actually MS that is shooting themselfes in the foot with IE not being standards compliant. Just go ask a web designer about IE almost all of them will hate IE because it doesn't support standards, and they constantly have to tweak their sites so IE will render their page(s) correctly.
It depends how you look at standards. Surely standards are the standard way a page is rendered. Call me crazy and all, but the standard way things are rendered is how Internet Explorer renders pages. The 'standards' are just a set of ideas some crank group wants people to use, because some people, mainly Linux-Folks, are so pig headed that they wouldn't use the Standard way sites are rendered, because it is how Microsoft does it.

Internet Explorer hence is the standard, the W3C merely tries with Anti-Microsoft Propaganda.

x0r515t said:
Linux has to have something right since it's ran on more and more supercomputers every year. Not to mention the constant server growth. Lord Kalthorn, have you ever even tried Linux?
I have tried SuSe and Red Hat Server, alonh with Mandrake and Fedora. But only for short periods, and you know why? Because it doesn't actually run any programs I use. Internet Explorer, Microsoft Anti-Spyware, Microsoft Office... nor do many of my Peripherals work well, if at all.

x0r515t said:
So after spending your hard earned cash on windows; "you don't even own it" that sounds alright to you? You are fine with the fact that M$ controls and owns your PC???
Yes, very much so. Because without them, I would not be able to control and own my PC. Nor would a good half of everybody else using a PC, not because of stubborness like me, but because they would not have the first clue how to use or install Linux.

x0r515t said:
Yes, agreed windows does a very nice job of making sure the user doesn't have to learn/know anything about the OS. But in Linux you can have both. If you use Linux you don't have to get to know everything behind the scenes of the OS either if you don't want to. You can just use KDE with a firefox icon on the desktop that you can just double click to open to get to the internet. But for the people that do want to get to know how things work "behind the scenes" in Linux, the doors are open to them. I think that is a significant difference.
You can do that for Windows, and get paid for it. You work for Microsoft.

M1ND.G4M3 said:
*laughing his ass off* Lord likes xp because it looks pwetty!!
Well, it does look pretty :D

M1ND.G4M3 said:
On a side note: the reason it has so many lines of code for the kernal as you stated would be because of the poor programing skills of microsoft employees.
I doubt that seriously. It is the power of the Kernal and the Driver Layer that Linux neither has, nor will ever have.

M1ND.G4M3 said:
The fact it takes them so many lines to make a kernal is an example of bad coding. Back when space was limited people used it cautiously. when i installed windows xp on my box (worst. mistake. of. my. life. ever.) it took up nearly 3 gigabytes of space. how big is a linux distro?

Please continue this hilarious debate
I don't know, but it doesn't do what Windows does, and that space is used wisely with power.

I shall try :D

iamroot said:
Windows is a really dumbed-down OS. I was kinda surprised when I saw a "Windows XP for Dummies" book at a bookstore. I mean, isn't XP already for beginners?
Beginners aren't always Dummies, there are worse users thatn Beginners :D

Lord Kalthorn said:
Have to admit, they are rare :D Miniclip however is one that uses it well, and many sites with reasonable programmers could use powerful tools like that that help with Gaming like in MSN's Zone, or for Communities, like in MSN Groups' Picture Uploader.

Exactly, point proven. These sites are in fact rare, and the only sites that really require ActiveX is M$ sites like MSN. So why given ActiveX's insignificance on the web, would Firefox include it? For spyware?

Lord Kalthorn said:
It depends how you look at standards. Surely standards are the standard way a page is rendered. Call me crazy and all, but the standard way things are rendered is how Internet Explorer renders pages. The 'standards' are just a set of ideas some crank group wants people to use, because some people, mainly Linux-Folks, are so pig headed that they wouldn't use the Standard way sites are rendered, because it is how Microsoft does it.

Internet Explorer hence is the standard, the W3C merely tries with Anti-Microsoft Propaganda.

lol, you've got to be kidding me on this one, IE is the standard and not W3C? I mean oh yeah, that makes a lot of sense considering the fact M$ wasn't even involved with the internet when the standards were being created. haha, check out this page:
http://blog.paularms.com/article/too-cool-for-internet-explorer

I suggest you read this over:
http://www.w3.org/Consortium/

Lord Kalthorn said:
I have tried SuSe and Red Hat Server, alonh with Mandrake and Fedora. But only for short periods, and you know why? Because it doesn't actually run any programs I use. Internet Explorer, Microsoft Anti-Spyware, Microsoft Office... nor do many of my Peripherals work well, if at all.

So let me get this straight, you don't run Linux because you can't run your apps like Microsoft Anti-Spyware? Seriously, you enjoy running your anti-spyware software? As for IE and M$ office, theres always wine:
http://www.winehq.com/
But there is good alternatives to these softwares. Open Office is just as good as M$ office, with full support for M$ office files. Well, I don't need to even mention an alternative to IE. You can get any hardware to work in Linux if you have the know how. What hardware was it, and what was the problem?

Lord Kalthorn said:
Yes, very much so. Because without them, I would not be able to control and own my PC. Nor would a good half of everybody else using a PC, not because of stubborness like me, but because they would not have the first clue how to use or install Linux.

You contradicted yourself there.
You said first:
Because without them, I would not be able to control and own my PC
So here you were saying that without M$ you couldn't control and own your own PC because you wouldn't have the knowledge to do so, because Linux is just to complex. But yet here you said it was because of "stubborness"

Nor would a good half of everybody else using a PC, not because of stubborness like me

Just to add, Linux really isn't that hard if you don't want it to be. I mean if the average person can install windows, the average person can install a easy distro like mandrake. Mandrake is heavily GUI based just like windows. If the average person just browses the web, i'm pretty sure they could handle KDE with a firefox icon on the desktop that they could just double-click to open.

Lord Kalthorn said:
I doubt that seriously. It is the power of the Kernal and the Driver Layer that Linux neither has, nor will ever have.

Right...."the power of the Kernal" the windows kernel does nothing special...Your starting to sound like steve balmer. Linux actually has better hardware support than windows, windows runs on one hardware architecture(x86), Linux runs on many.

Lord Kalthorn said:
I don't know, but it doesn't do what Windows does, and that space is used wisely with power.

What doesn't Linux do, that windows does?
At this point in time Linux can do anything that windows can do, maybe it has to be done with some hacks/tweaks but it can be done. You want to talk about using space with power, I have an old pentium100 with a base install of slackware. Totaling about a few hundred megs of disk space. With this setup, I can do many things that windows XP is just incapable of doing, even with its gigabytes of files. For instance I can actually set user permissions to paths in my / to specific users with chmod.

I have to agree with x0r515t here windows is just not that great of an OS... it's easy but it's dynasty is going down hill.

i am sorry but i have to agree with x0r515t and before you know in the near future linux is going to be very popluar os to be installed on personal pc's and linux does put more new verious of os out every 3 to 6months unlike microsoft does it takes microsoft 3 years just to come up with a new verison of windows xp called "vista" in switch i am not to happy about because its a other crappie OS from microsoft sorry guys.

x0r515t said:
Exactly, point proven. These sites are in fact rare, and the only sites that really require ActiveX is M$ sites like MSN. So why given ActiveX's insignificance on the web, would Firefox include it? For spyware?
The fact it is in MSN Sites makes it less rare than you would presume :p People do actually use MSN Sites :D

x0r515t said:
lol, you've got to be kidding me on this one, IE is the standard and not W3C? I mean oh yeah, that makes a lot of sense considering the fact M$ wasn't even involved with the internet when the standards were being created. haha, check out this page:
http://blog.paularms.com/article/too-cool-for-internet-explorer

I suggest you read this over:
http://www.w3.org/Consortium/
Haha. Well think of it practically. What is a standard, but a general way of something being done. Internet Explorer gives that standard to developers for over 80% of all Internet users, and other browsers still render their stuff very much like it too, so that it looks right in about 95% of browsers. Is that, or is that not, a standard?

x0r515t said:
So let me get this straight, you don't run Linux because you can't run your apps like Microsoft Anti-Spyware? Seriously, you enjoy running your anti-spyware software? As for IE and M$ office, theres always wine:
http://www.winehq.com/
But there is good alternatives to these softwares. Open Office is just as good as M$ office, with full support for M$ office files. Well, I don't need to even mention an alternative to IE. You can get any hardware to work in Linux if you have the know how. What hardware was it, and what was the problem?
WinE is a mongrel code set for people who are hypocritical. If I was running Linux; I could not use Windows Applications, because I had already turned my back on that. Open Office is as good as Office 95, maybe 97. I have gotten used to Office 2003. I don't intend to go back so far just to use an unpleasant Operating System :p I'd rather use my know how on something important, I expect my stuff to work so that I can get on with those more important things.

x0r515t said:
You contradicted yourself there.
You said first:

So here you were saying that without M$ you couldn't control and own your own PC because you wouldn't have the knowledge to do so, because Linux is just to complex. But yet here you said it was because of "stubborness"
Lol; I used I where they, people in general, should have been :p

x0r515t said:
Just to add, Linux really isn't that hard if you don't want it to be. I mean if the average person can install windows, the average person can install a easy distro like mandrake. Mandrake is heavily GUI based just like windows. If the average person just browses the web, i'm pretty sure they could handle KDE with a firefox icon on the desktop that they could just double-click to open.
Could they put that Icon on KDE though? And why would anybody want a second-hand Desktop? The desktop is part of the Operating System, it is more efficient like that :p It is a bit like having an Office Application that needs another program to give it commands.

x0r515t said:
Right...."the power of the Kernal" the windows kernel does nothing special...Your starting to sound like steve balmer. Linux actually has better hardware support than windows, windows runs on one hardware architecture(x86), Linux runs on many.
One distribution doesn't. Linux, as many distributions, does. Windows, as many versions does run on a number of different hardware architectures.

x0r515t said:
What doesn't Linux do, that windows does?
At this point in time Linux can do anything that windows can do, maybe it has to be done with some hacks/tweaks but it can be done. You want to talk about using space with power, I have an old pentium100 with a base install of slackware. Totaling about a few hundred megs of disk space. With this setup, I can do many things that windows XP is just incapable of doing, even with its gigabytes of files. For instance I can actually set user permissions to paths in my / to specific users with chmod.
Hacks and Tweaks... who wants to bother with Hacks and Tweaks. It is like PhpBB saying it does what vBulletin does, but you need some hacks and tweaks to have it doing that. The very advantage of Windows is that you don't need these hacks and tweaks. You have it, and it works.

Lord Kalthorn said:
The fact it is in MSN Sites makes it less rare than you would presume :p People do actually use MSN Sites :D
these must be the same people who are upset that GTA has hidden adult content.

Lord Kalthorn said:
Haha. Well think of it practically. What is a standard, but a general way of something being done. Internet Explorer gives that standard to developers for over 80% of all Internet users, and other browsers still render their stuff very much like it too, so that it looks right in about 95% of browsers. Is that, or is that not, a standard?
well, then i guess virii are part of the standard now eh?

Lord Kalthorn said:
WinE is a mongrel code set for people who are hypocritical.
windows programs run faster under wine than under windows.

Lord Kalthorn said:
If I was running Linux; I could not use Windows Applications, because I had already turned my back on that.
you turned your back on Windows Applications? Nice to see you turn around. :D

Lord Kalthorn said:
Open Office is as good as Office 95, maybe 97. I have gotten used to Office 2003. I don't intend to go back so far just to use an unpleasant Operating System :p
MS Office 2003 is like WordStar. I don't intend to go back so fas just to use an unpleasant Operating System :p

Lord Kalthorn said:
I'd rather use my know how on something important, I expect my stuff to work so that I can get on with those more important things.
Microsoft would not take Linux as a threat if it were not spreading eating into their profits.

Lord Kalthorn said:
Lol; I used I where they, people in general, should have been :p
:p

Lord Kalthorn said:
Could they put that Icon on KDE though? And why would anybody want a second-hand Desktop? The desktop is part of the Operating System, it is more efficient like that :p It is a bit like having an Office Application that needs another program to give it commands.
office does use multiple programs.

Lord Kalthorn said:
One distribution doesn't. Linux, as many distributions, does. Windows, as many versions does run on a number of different hardware architectures.
Linux runs or more.

Lord Kalthorn said:
Hacks and Tweaks... who wants to bother with Hacks and Tweaks. It is like PhpBB saying it does what vBulletin does, but you need some hacks and tweaks to have it doing that. The very advantage of Windows is that you don't need these hacks and tweaks. You have it, and it works.
We need to tweak and hack Windows just to make it stable :p

Back
Top Bottom