Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-18-2008, 04:41 PM   #1
Daemon Poster

Default Microsoft IIS

What is this feature used for? Please explain in simple terms.

bruinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:48 PM   #2
Golden Master

Default Re: Microsoft IIS

Wiki knows all: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interne...ation_Services

AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 4.0GHz + TU120E lapped - MSI 770-CD45 AM3 - 2x2GB OCZ DDR3 1333MHz - Sapphire HD 4870 - Samsung Spinpoint 500GB 7200RPM 16MB cache HDD - Tagan TG600-BZ Piperock - (Currently open test bed) - Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit.
worshipme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:48 PM   #3
Daemon Poster

for those who use it what do you do with it? I am not looking for the definition.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:58 PM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinator View Post
What is this feature used for? Please explain in simple terms.
It runs webserver. Computerforums.org runs on IIS 6.0
DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:21 PM   #5
Daemon Poster

So should I understand this as it controls the tcp/ip protocols on how we connect/communicate to other systems?
Old 03-18-2008, 07:17 PM   #6
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ-CHRIS View Post
It runs webserver. Computerforums.org runs on IIS 6.0
Chris, Can you expound on this a little more, please?
Old 03-18-2008, 08:24 PM   #7
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to wmorri

IIS is basically the windows application equivalent to Apache. It is used primarily to run web servers on. Check out http://www.microsoft.com/technet/arc....mspx?mfr=true for a better definition of IIS.

I thought you were a hispanic/african american? Who is the white guy in the pictures?
wmorri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:45 PM   #8
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmorri View Post
IIS is basically the windows application equivalent to Apache. It is used primarily to run web servers on. Check out http://www.microsoft.com/technet/arc....mspx?mfr=true for a better definition of IIS.
Can you possibly explain it in your own words, please? I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:18 AM   #9
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinator View Post
Can you possibly explain it in your own words, please? I would greatly appreciate it.
How much simpler can we get? Do you not understand what a web server is? Or is this a question for some school assignment and you want us to do it?
DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 01:06 AM   #10
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to wmorri

Let me start from the beginning. Every web page is run on a server. These servers are all inter connected on the to each other by the World Wide Web. There are two primary types of servers. One is the Apache server. The other is IIS, or Internet Information Server. Apache is a free server that you can download at http://www.apache.org This is an open source based server. It is used primarily on Linux and Unix OS's, but that is a totally other topic.

You said that you wanted to know about IIS. IIS was created by Windows. It was implemented in the Window NT 3.51 kernel(A Kernel is the core group of programs that make up an operating system). IIS was created as a network file and application server that would transmit information by using HTTP or the internet. For most people IIS is a means of getting a web page up and running without having to go through to many steps or know confusing codes or directories.

IIS comes as a standard or add on program for every Window OS from 95 through Vista and Server 2008. If you want to get and install IIS on an XP computer all that you have to do is input the CD into your drive and then click on Install optional Windows components. There will be a box that appears and you can then choose which apps you want to install. From here you click on the check box next to Internet Information Server(IIS), and any other components that you would like to install. Then you click on next and the install wizard does every thing else.

From here I am going to leave you on your own to do what all of us do when we want to know more about something we do some research and learn and use the service or product that we want to know about. I have given you the information on the basis of what IIS is and how to install it on an XP computer. It is up to you to go out and expand upon that knowledge.

Cheers!

I thought you were a hispanic/african american? Who is the white guy in the pictures?
wmorri is offline   Reply With Quote