Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-24-2005, 09:58 AM   #1
Beta Member

Default Microsoft can't install for s***

I have a story to tell you:

I was searching for the best OS. First I had XP for awhile but hated how slow it was. I tried ubuntu warty, thought it wasn't simple enough (complicated doesnt mean good) and tried mandrake, which was great. however, i needed several windows programs (script writers, photoshop (gimp is decent though), video editors, unrealed, etc. etc.). First I tried longhorn which was pretty much just a version of xp that had a sidebar and ate up all my memory, disallowing me to run more than one small program at a time. then i tried win2000, which worked fine, and for awhile, things were pretty good. Then, I needed a video editor, and found out the only two decent editors for the PC (premiere (and after effects) and avid) were xp only. I decided to dual install xp on the partition with 2000. here is how it was before i installed:

hda {[C: 15 gb win2000] [3 Linux Partitions for Mandrake]}
hdb {[D: 1/2 gb, long story] [F: 154gb programs, portfolio, and anything of value] [S: 5.5gb scratch]}

In the install, i chose to install on partition C:, which it did (I know because the two win folders are on the same partition). After the installation, this is my hard drives:

hda {[c: 15gb win2000 and xp] [3 linux partitions for mandrake]}
hdb {[D: 1/2gb, the one that i didn't even care about] [159.5gb unpartitioned free space]}

So now I need to reinstall all my programs (about 20gb) all my mp3s (15gb) and most furiating, recreate my entire portfolio, including my total conversion for Unreal Tournament, my website, AND my screenplay!

Before i format it, I wanted to know if there was any possible way of restoring the lost data, as it hasn't been reformatted, it was unpartitoned. And could someone give me a reason this happened? Any time I work with partitioning I make sure that it doesn't even touch my hdb, since so much of importance is, or should i say, was on there.

Oh, and did I mention I'm in a rush? I need to capture and edit an hour of video for a project that is due tommorrow.

squeakypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 10:19 AM   #2
Beta Member

Here's what i mean by unpartitioned space:
http://img115.echo.cx/my.php?image=untitled9xa.png

Old 04-24-2005, 10:56 AM   #3
Beta Member

i'm reformatting it now to NTFS. ::sigh:: i've got a shitload of work to do now. if i ever see bill gates, i'm gonna punch him in the face and shout "FUCK YOU!" as loud as i can.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:13 AM   #4
BSOD

Default Re: Microsoft can't install for s***

Do not double Post!!!

THERE IS AN EDIT BUTTON- USE IT!
Masahiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 12:12 PM   #5
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to Starr Send a message via MSN to Starr

I hope you learned an important lesson. Always back up your files. Espicially (slaughtered that word) if your screwing around with partitions.

Windows Vista Business Edition

"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who know binary and those who don't."
Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 10:15 AM   #6
The Candyman

Yep that is why i have everthing backed up to CD-r's and Dvd's ...
Old 05-03-2005, 12:50 PM   #7
Fully Optimized

do you mean

You can not install for s***
Old 05-03-2005, 06:28 PM   #8
Beta Member

I wonder how many CDs one should have to back up a drive of 160 GB 250 CDs I suppose... that's quite a lot, don't you think! I am thinking about setting up a backup system - I already have an additional computer to be connected to my main machine - I'll put all my essentials on the additional one.

3appraisal is offline   Reply With Quote