Micro controller peripheral intermittent error?

camerart

Solid State Member
Hi,
I have a program (Oshonsoft BASIC) on an 18F4620 PIC, with an AK8963C Compass module attached, that has started giving random errors.

The PCB has 2x different PICs, 4x different peripherals using SPI and a GPS using UART plus a couple more bits.

The AK8963C (Compass chip from an Iphone5) (There are 5x of them) is on it's own breakout board,and has worked while testing for a year or so without trouble.

After adding all of the peripheral programs into one program, the AK8963C started erroring.

I've been on another forum, with Oshonsoft experts, plus programming help and electronic ideas.

My question here is a general one. What kind of thing may cause this type of error? What tests would be made to isolate it?

I hope someone can help

Cheers, Camerart.

Hi,
No answer?
Is there a reason?

Has anyone else had problems with PIC peripherals?
C

How are you communicating with the compas chip? (Sip?)

And what errors are you getting?

Do you have any tools like a logic analyser or "bus pirate" that you can use to see if the error is in the output of the compass chip or in the receiving by the pic? (Can you confirm that the pic is getting good data?)

How are you communicating with the compas chip? (Sip?)

And what errors are you getting?

Do you have any tools like a logic analyser or "bus pirate" that you can use to see if the error is in the output of the compass chip or in the receiving by the pic? (Can you confirm that the pic is getting good data?)

Hi R,
I don't know what SIP is. I'm using Oshonsoft for programming.

The errors have been intermittent, sometimes I get READings, using a computer terminal.

I have tried a test using the connections as the image. As you can see, even with a 1K pullup, the PIC is pulling the Compass output down to '0'

The MOSI PIN TRIS is set to IN.

I've been on different forums, and tried many ideas. There have been lots of program/pcb checks. It appears that the SPI settings are being over ridden somewhere along the line.
C.

Attachments

• MISO.png
    MISO.png
    11 KB · Views: 1
Back
Top Bottom