Messenger and Facebook App updates do what??

jarlmaster

In Runtime
As the title implies, I have absolutely no idea what the majority of Facebook and Messenger app updates do. I have an iPhone and all the update notes say is that Facebook "updates the apps regularly so we can make it better for you". That's obviously not helpful.

Do any of you guys actually know what the app updates do? I mean occasionally I notice new features, or a UI update, etc. But most of the updates don't seem to do anything. The apps haven't gotten any faster and they don't appear to use less battery.

Probably just more advanced telemetry and data mining, along with the occasional UI update to keep you from getting too suspicious/bored.

Probably just more advanced telemetry and data mining, along with the occasional UI update to keep you from getting too suspicious/bored.

Lol yeah probably. They update it so frequently. Once a week, sometimes twice. I don't care that they data mine and all. I have nothing to hide and I'm not a very interesting person to keep tabs on anyway. I just wish they'd optimize the apps some more. Make them launch faster, use less ram and battery, etc.

They don't make money by making the apps faster or more efficient. They make money by mining your data and selling it on, sometimes to unscrupulous recipients. Thay have absolutely no concern about your privacy if that disregard makes them more money.

They don't make money by making the apps faster or more efficient. They make money by mining your data and selling it on, sometimes to unscrupulous recipients. Thay have absolutely no concern about your privacy if that disregard makes them more money.

That's the unfortunate truth. I just wish it wasn't all about the money, or that there was some impetus to improve the app. Facebook does occasionally but it's not enough. That being said, most apps I use that are free get a lot of enhancements (speed and efficiency wise). None of it makes them more money but they do it anyway. Part of it is that Facebook is a monopoly but even then it's just stupid.

As for the privacy I don't care. At all.

Personally, I like to live in my own little world where the big reason they do the updates is to fix bugs that exposed me and my information to people that I didn't want - aka my settings are right but their code sucked.

Then there are the occasional "improvements" like adding the ability to auto-play videos by default that get thrown in every now and then...

Back
Top Bottom