Messed Windows 10 partition, do not boot

postcd

Banned
Hello,

i tried to install Linux on external HDD, but it somehow messed with primary internal HDD with Windows 10. I dont think it erased data. I think it has to do with partitioning or MBR.

Windows shows that OS require repair and shown error 0xc000000e . I tried to run repairs from WIndows DVD, but it not found any solution and no restore points.

There are advices on how to fix that error of WIndows:
https://neosmart.net/wiki/0xc000000e/

i tried several partitioning tools and some said partition on the WIndows drive is not active and adviced activating. I did following:

gdisk 1 /ACT /P:1

to activate partition on the WIndows drive.

From now it do not even show 0xc000000e Windows page.

I tried to deactivate partition using gdisk

gdisk 1 /-ACT /P:1

but shows that -ACT switch is not known

I can still boot Windows DVD and go to commandline to do fixing commands like:

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /rebuildbcd

but i assume by marking partition active using gdisk, i made it more difficult.

Here is the photo of the problematic Window drive layout:
win10_partition_layout.jpg

Please can you advice what to do? Thank You

Last edited:
Is there anyone who looking on the photo above, can help what to do with any (which one) of partitions?

And how to create/regenerate Windows 10 boot loader again (from Windows 10 boot CD command line, which command)?

Thank You alot

I'm assuming when you're saying "1" is set as active you mean the top one in that list?

The top partition is only 450MB so I'd guess that's not actually the Windows partition, try setting partition 4 as the active one and see what happens.

I tried to execute commands:
bootrec /fixmbr
result: complete

bootrec /scan
result: Total identified Windows installations: 0.

bootrec /fixboot
result: complete

i tried:
bootrec /rebuildbcd

and followed commands int his article: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/rebuild-bcd-store-windows.htm
which should result in boot record be created new, but i see my C drive do not have "boot" folder.
It has WIndows, Program files, but not boot. Please any idea how to fix?

DiskPart shows these partitions:
Win10partitions.jpg

thx, Yes i did. Part 4, Primary. Someone said it failed to activate because it is already active.

This is the inherent issue when trying to install Linux to separate HDD (and a partitioned HDD), while both drives are connected to mobo. The Grub overwrites the MBR and replaces it.

When trying to add a 2nd OS (Windows/Linux) of any kind on 2nd HDD, the first HDD has to be removed from the system physically or remove the data/power cables from the mobo of 1st HDD.

Installing Linux on an external HDD is a bit different than installing it on an internal HDD. There are some extra steps that have to be done.

Gparted from what I hear can be complicated to use instead I would have used just the Linux distribution disk. I have duel booted best with PCLinuxOS and found no issues except that the other boot can reduce Windows performance a bit since you don't have as much room especially on a single hdd. This forum is great but I also suggest you use one of the Linux forums as well to see what they have to say.

I really don't like being the bearer of bad news but I suggest wiping the drives and starting over again as you may have made Windows unusable. It can happen it happened to me on a very small hdd only once and I think that might have been when I used a third party partitioner so great care needs to be used. Even when you are careful though mistakes can happen. I wish you luck!

Thank You for inputs, i ended up starting clean installation on that drive.
Maybe your inputs will also help other people who may face similar problem. Or it may help me again if i face this issue second time) Thank you

PS: someone also recommended me to use MiniTool Partition Wizard boot CD (they have fre .iso on their web) and on the HDD where is WIndows installed, click Disk menu item, then click "Partition recovery". Here is tutorial. I got an impression from that, that it can be used to recover some partitions that could be deleted as a result of Linux installation.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom