This may sound like a silly question...

keez1993

Solid State Member
But is there a way to get rid of a folder without it's contents?

I know it sounds ridiculous but I have a folder with about 100 folders in it, each with 10 folders in them, with each of those having about 20 files in it.
So that's a lot of cutting and pasting, is there a way to get all these files easily without cutting and pasting?

I figure the easiest way, if it were possible, to delete the folder part but keep the contents part

Easiest way to look at it is:
FolderMain > Folders 1-100 > Folders 1-10 > Files

I wish to have:
FolderMain > Files

Oh dear that is a lot of cutting and pasting, don't envy you there. I suppose you could do a file search on the main folder and just cut and paste all the files from the list. But you would probably need to do a search for each specific file type, jpg/mp3/txt etc.

This is not easy because folders are really just files as far as computers see them, so you are really asking to copy certain files with a filter on attribute. The usual copy and xcopy probably won't help. Try piping Get-ChildItem recursively to Copy-Item using PowerShell, which should achieve what you need.

Sorry Dale but I have no idea what Get-ChildItem is haha. But Branjo I hadn't even considered that thanks, all the files are pretty similarly named so I was able to do about a fifth in one go thanks!

Back
Top Bottom