Making a super computer

Alexander7567

Baseband Member
Hello,
I have a few very nice computers laying around my house. I decided to make one big super computer out of the 5 of them. However i do not know how.

I am wanting to share CPU and and things like that. I want them to run either Windows XP or Windows 7.

Does anyone know how I can go about this?

Ive tried various programs but I either cannot figure them out or they do not do what i am wanting.

I think you are a little confused about what a "supercomputer" really is.

The classic supercomputers were massive machines built from scratch with numerous processors wired in parallel and one-off operating systems.

Then came Beowulf, basically a poor-man's supercomputer kludged out of a pile of identical off-the-shelf PC computers and linked together via ethernet and running a customized Linux variant.

You might build one or two decent computers using parts, or you could do a little research, buy some additional hardware and build your own mini cluster, but doubt you would be able to run Windows reliably on it.

Beowulf is pretty much what i am shooting for.

And it is available in windows. Where i work they have a Image Generator rack for 30 Tank Simulators and all of them have about 10 computers a rack. Only one in a rack has a HDD and the rest are running networked windows XP and used only for CPU and Graphics.

I know there is a way. I just don't know how.

What do you plan to do with it?
it would be more energy efficient to have just one computer with a lot of very fast gpus, like HD6990s

Back
Top Bottom