Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-08-2008, 07:56 PM   #1
Beta Member

Default Major problem with computer

For awhile now I been having alot of issues with my computer.... for starters I can't even turn off my computer when I go to the Start menu.....i want to wipe out the system and start fresh.....I know I need to put any files that I don't want to be lost on CD-RW or DVD-RW.....but I also know that I would need the XP (or any OS for that matter) boot up disk.....and I think that is where my problem actually began from....

So what I would like to know, since I tried to download the boot disk files already....and that wasn't successful, what can I do now??? (*Note*I don't have the XP CD to begin with, when I purchased the Desktop Computer....it never came with it)

sorry for the N00b question guys, any help would be great.

BW

Buddy_Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:04 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Major problem with computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy_Williams View Post
(*Note*I don't have the XP CD to begin with, when I purchased the Desktop Computer....it never came with it)

sorry for the N00b question guys, any help would be great.

BW
You're stuffed without the cd.

Option one: Go back to the seller and explain nicely that it is illegal to sell a pc with XP installed and not supply XP cds or recovery disks and you want your disks

Option two: Buy XP

Option Three: Buy Vista

EDIT: Another thought, which version of XP? Is the pc a brand name pc with an oem version of XP? or is the XP a retail version?

If it is a retail version use a programme like Magic Jellybean, PC Wizard etc to retrieve your XP key from your os install and borrow a disk to use or get someone to burn you a copy or (dodgiest method) d/load a copy.

E8600@ 4.25GHz, 1.325V | Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme + Scythe Slipstream 120 | Asus Rampage Extreme| 4GB Corsair 2000MHz 8-8-8-24 @ 1600 6-7-6-24| ASUS 9800GTX| Pioneer 18X SATA DVD-RW | 320GB + 500GB WD SATAII | Antec True Power Trio 650W | Thermaltake Sonata | Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 Ultimate
A True Folder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:56 PM   #3
Beta Member

ATF, the version installed is XP Home Edition.....I searched the forums here somewhat...and came up with something that looked promising...but in the end the program was never able to write to a disk, so as it stands I'm SOL .....

any rate I'll continue my search, thanks for all pieces of advice;

BW
Buddy_Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:06 AM   #4
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to wmorri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy_Williams View Post
I also know that I would need the XP (or any OS for that matter) boot up disk.....and I think that is where my problem actually began from....
Buddy,

You say that you could use any OS. Have you ever thought about using Linux?
There are a lot of easy to use OS's out there that are very user friendly for a Beginner to the Linux world. If I were to recommend one I would recommend Ubuntu: http://www.ubuntu.com This is a very graphical desktop interface. Pluses of Ubuntu are that they have a great Forum. Any question that gets asked on there usually gets answered within minutes. Plus they have a great community docs, and other helpful stuff.

The best part about linux is that it is open source and FREE. Just think about that as another option to your os problem.

Cheers!
wmorri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:15 AM   #5
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to blackjack

Check you pm
blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote