Looking for an old video card driver

TheCollector

Baseband Member
Hi I realize that this is probably a long shot but I was just wondering if anybody had a driver for an ATI Radeon 9256R 256MB AGP video card or where I could find a driver.

I have looked everywhere for one in google but have had no luck.

Cheers.

Nah I tried that, those driver programs just put rubbish on the computer and they never have video drivers for cards anyway.

I'll just cut my losses with it and upgrade the motherboard at least then I can get a graphics card that has drivers.

I did some looking, and either it's a really obscure part or it might be listed wrong on ebay. Try the regular 9250 drivers.

I did some looking, and either it's a really obscure part or it might be listed wrong on ebay. Try the regular 9250 drivers.

Thanks I really appreciate you looking around for me :)

I found out that my video card is in fact a 256MB 9200 series Radeon, it would seem like Radeon made a lot of them but I have had no luck finding the correct drivers for the particular video card I have. I have also tried older versions of Windows.

I have decided its time to upgrade that useless motherboard and I'll put the video card back on ebay. People never think to keep the drivers when they remove hardware to sell on.

The motherboard also needs chipset drivers which are also impossible to find rendering the board useless plus its a P4 so would be to slow to run any half decent Linux OS.

I'm sure I can get a used dual core motherboard bundle on ebay for about 20 quid and dump it in I think thats my best option now.

I do find Pentium 4 computers to be rather useless in general as there not suitable to run anything retro like for example Windows 98SE for vintage gaming and stuff like that and there to slow to run anything modern. I prefer Pentium 2 or 3 for retro gaming anyway and dual core 2 and above for modern software.

The motherboard also needs chipset drivers which are also impossible to find rendering the board useless plus its a P4 so would be to slow to run any half decent Linux OS.

I do find Pentium 4 computers to be rather useless in general as there not suitable to run anything retro like for example Windows 98SE for vintage gaming and stuff like that and there to slow to run anything modern. I prefer Pentium 2 or 3 for retro gaming anyway and dual core 2 and above for modern software.

Where do you get this stuff? How are the Pentium 2 better than the Pentium 4? What's a half decent Linux OS? How does not having chipset drivers render the board useless? Are your devices not being recognized? Is your RAM malfunctioning?

Where do you get this stuff? How are the Pentium 2 better than the Pentium 4? What's a half decent Linux OS? How does not having chipset drivers render the board useless? Are your devices not being recognized? Is your RAM malfunctioning?

The Pentium 2 or 3 are better than Pentium 4 because they can run older hardware and are generally better for running Windows 98 and retro gaming on the whole. A lot sell for a lot of money on sites like ebay more than what an old junky P4 would go for.

A decent Linux OS is one that is stable and works... well its based on many factors depending on what you want to use the computer for.

Not having drivers for hardware, your hardware does not function.

The RAM is fine.

I'm not saying all P4's are junk some can be good providing you don't need chipset drivers for the motherboard, theres nothing worse than having no audio and that awful 16 bit color resolution. Old drivers can be very hard to find and in many cases they are just not available anymore.

Ooof windows 98, THAT's driver hell! if all you're into is retro gaming, and linux i bet a raspberry pi or the like would faster than a pentium. though, it wouldn't be capable of playing most pc games...

The Pentium 2 or 3 are better than Pentium 4 because they can run older hardware and are generally better for running Windows 98 and retro gaming on the whole. A lot sell for a lot of money on sites like ebay more than what an old junky P4 would go for.
What I don't get is why older hardware would be better for retro gaming. Wirth Pentium 4s you would have support for 64-bit emulators and not with the older Pentiums.
I'm not saying all P4's are junk some can be good providing you don't need chipset drivers for the motherboard, theres nothing worse than having no audio and that awful 16 bit color resolution. Old drivers can be very hard to find and in many cases they are just not available anymore.
And the solution for that is getting even older hardware, that can only run 32-bit software?
Your board is the one that needs the drivers, the processor has nothing to do with that.
A decent Linux OS is one that is stable and works... well its based on many factors depending on what you want to use the computer for.

Not having drivers for hardware, your hardware does not function.

The RAM is fine.
And which Linux distro did you try that didn't work? Linux distributions will always be better for older computers than Windows.

Back
Top Bottom