Long boot-time? Watch this

@Celegorm

That's where the research come in handy ;)

OK, we seem to be going round in circles here, so let me try and explain in more detail why exactly the comments don't seem to be that positive.

First off, and unrelated to the content of the article, just posting a link to an article on your personal website, especially without any extra information (I'd like some feedback, what do you think of this, I'd like clarification on x point) and extra especially as a new member (smells very much like spam) - isn't going to immediately warm people's hearts towards you.

However, if it was an exemplary article, perhaps that could be forgiven.

It's not.

Let's take it piece by piece.

Now what is boot time? Boot time is the time it takes for you computer to start up. For example 30 seconds.
Really? Would I really be at this article if I didn't know what boot time was in the first place? Anyway...

To open MSConfig go to the Start Menu > All Programs > Accesories > Run.

Now type in ‘MSConfig' and hit enter.

A window will pop up on your screen
It correctly tells you how to start msconfig. Not the biggest achievement ever going, but it is at least correct.

If you press the tab ‘Boot', several unchecked boxes will appear. Check the box that says ‘No GIU boot'
Firstly, there's a typo. This may get you a bit of a modest increase, but it will be modest at best, unless you're running on an ancient box that will always be slow regardless. The amount of time taken to load and play an animation these days is, well, minute.

Now press ‘Advance Options'. In the top left corner check the ‘Number of Processors' and select the amount of cores your computer has. Then press ‘OK'.
This is where it really starts to get silly. If you'd done your research before writing this, you'd know that it defaults to using all cores if you leave that box unchecked. It's an option designed for *restricting* the number of cores used at boot, not expanding it. So this will have a net affect of 0.

Now press the tab ‘Startup'. A list of all the programs that start up when you boot your computer will appear. Uncheck all the programs you only use sometimes. The only programs that should start up while booting is your antivirus and for example Google Drive. In general everything else isn't important. But be sure that you know what the program(s) does before you start configuring.
And here we have the cream of the crop in terms of things not to do! There's a number of things wrong with this. Firstly, telling the user to uncheck the programs they only use sometimes is, well, pretty difficult when it's not the application names that are displayed, but the executable names which are often very different from the application names. And as for the only programs that should start up being antivirus (how does the user know what that is anyway) and Google drive? I have a butload of stuff running on startup that absolutely needs to be there, saying that "in general everything else isn't important" is a sure way to aggravate people when they follow your guide and find that stuff they want on startup is no longer there. This could be inconvenient at best, and break things altogether at worst.

Now, this last bit is the main bit that's come up already, and you seem to dismiss that as ok because in your last sentence you just tack on "be sure that you know what the program does."

Allow me to elaborate a bit on why this, pretty clearly, does not make what you've written ok. Firstly, it's a bit of a contradiction with what's written before, and if someone's following an article they will tend to read it from the top down! It's analogous to writing an article on changing a light switch, and only telling the user to turn of the electricity before they start at the end of the article. Secondly, by definition you're writing an article here for novice users (anything else and they just wouldn't need the article.) So when you just tell them to go away and find out, you've immediately alienated this user base. How do they find out? Where do they go to to find out? Where's an example, with screenshots, of finding out what a particular application is? And if I've found out what it is, how do I then know if it's something I need, something I'm using or something I can just get rid of? Those are at the very least all the questions you need to address in order to make the article worth reading.

Back
Top Bottom