Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-17-2010, 07:42 AM   #1
Baseband Member
Default Log in screen is just black

Ok i was running my anti virus scan, it picked up a few things, so i just deleted them, these things were lying in folders like local settings/**/temp or local settings/**/temporary internet files

now anyway, i went out left the comp on, mum decides to turn it off... (while it was still in the process of scanning)

anyway i turn it back on now and when it gets to the log in screen (windows xp) all i get is a black screen with just the mouse. the mouse moves but i cannot log in or anything..

happens in safe mode aswell

i made a system restore checkpoint a few days ago, is there any way i can get to system restore without having to log in. cause right now it seems that there is no way i will be able to log in at all..

before i decided to do the anti virus run, i had used hi jack this, and deleted some harmful things via hijhackthis.de, i also used pandasecurity.com active scan 2, which picked up quite a few things before using and updating my current av, avast.

my comp was in not great shape before it buckled, i could not run any anti spyware/malware program, as i would just not simply open, and my browser kept getting hijacked/

thats just the background info if it helps at all, but the main thing now is i just want to get to my files back up and restore/format.

are there people out there that can extract files outta my harddrive in its state right now. everything boots up fine, just when i get to the log-in, its a black screen with only the mouse functioning.

mykul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:08 AM   #2
In Runtime
Default Re: Log in screen is just black

Your data is probably still on the drive.
If you wanna take it off, just remove it and hook it up to another machine as a slave drive.

This might be something you want to look into. It's under $10 and very handy to have around.
Anderwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote