Linux vs windows?

This is true.

However, to some people, something as that can seem quite advanced. Also, most Windows users do not like shells.

Because Windows users do not have to use shells. Many people say that shells and such make GNU/Linux more difficult to use than Windows but that is only because users have been house-trained since young to use a lousy "user-friendly" OS. Windows is NOT easier to use. Its just something popel are more accustomed to.

Very, very true. Maybe that's because the only shell that they are provided with is MS-DOS (yuck!)

MS-DOS is really a lousy piece of software. DR-DOS was much better but too bad, it fell thanks to "Sir" Gates.

isnt it just shell or whatever..bash is a jailed shell?

Hmm either way i agree, I like my wget's and gzips. CentOS all the way baby..

I'm for Windows because:

a) It works out of the box with next to no effort

b) You don't need to download approximately 10 different plugins and updates just to listen to your favourite tune

c) It doesn't destroy your hard drive by turning it into some cryptic EXT3 rubbish that nothing else can use

d) You don't have to be King of the Geeks to get it to do the simplest of things.

E.g., In Windows, I can access the floppy drive by simply going to My Computer.

In Linux (and I've still not figured this out) you have to use the Terminal, which is effectively the DOS prompt, and go through a weird routine of odd commands to mount the drive so that Linux can see it. Every time.

In Linux (and I've still not figured this out) you have to use the Terminal, which is effectively the DOS prompt, and go through a weird routine of odd commands to mount the drive so that Linux can see it. Every time.

Hav you ever used linux for a start and if you have how long have you spent working with it?

You have obviously not used a recent distro of linux or you would know what you were talking about?

You may have used Slackware or a distro designed for com geeks

Ok, malbuc87uk . First of all, the Terminal is NOT effectively a DOS prompt, mainly because MS-DOS is evil and terrible and whatever your default shell is (Bash, probably) is much better.

Windows allows you to do simple things simply but at a very high price: It assumes that you want to do things in a certain way and there is no way to change that.

GNU/Linux does not need plugins to listen to music. Browsers might (Firefox for example).

Your Hard Drive is not "destroyed" but. The filesystem happens to be different from fat32 which is what most Windows computers use.

As dreamweaverdude said, you might be using a distro which is designed for more experineced users. There are others which are designed for less experienced people.

Back
Top Bottom