Which linux to use?

outlawstar4761

In Runtime
I don't know much about any operating systems other than windows and want to learn about linux. I want to install it as the main operating system on my laptop. It's a dell latitude 128 MG ram pentium 3 processor (601)MHZ. Which distribution would be best for this machine, taking into consideration my novice level? Thank you.

You may want to try PCLinux- it's pretty easy to use. There are many that like Ubuntu, but I prefer PCLinux over Ubuntu. Many Linux distros come as live CD's now, you should download several, and run them off the CD, and choose for yourself.

I have used PCLinux and it's pretty good,although im not sure how fast it would run on those specs.I have never used DSL But for the size its sounds really good.

All of these suggestions are extremely vague and for the most part, useless. Before we can actually recommend you an Operating System, we have to know what you are going to primarily use it for and why you want to learn it, IE: Desktop os? Web server usage?

If you want a desktop os, try Ubuntu, if you plan on running a web server or game server from it (Not as in running one (a game server) on your laptop, but if you want the skills necessary to run this sort of thing in the future) Red Hat/CentOs is a good choice.

Of course other distros like Debian, Fedora Core are good choices if you like to get technical on what you'll be doing.

As has been stated, let us know what you plan on using the computer for. That will make a big difference on what distribution to install.

Pretend you are buying a car. Lay out the features, there is probably a distribution for you.
Welcome to the world of choice.

Ubuntu will work fine on that system. I got Ubuntu working fine (minimal lag) on my P2 400MHz w/ 128MB ram once, and I think a 350MHz system also.

PCLinuxOS will lag for sure. Tried it on my 750MHz system w/ 256MB ram and it was lagging. I like Freespire, but it will also lag on those specs.

Back
Top Bottom