Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Join Computer forums Today

Old 12-08-2011, 05:30 PM   #1
In Runtime
Default Linux - Ubuntu - Shortening HDD Life

Hey Every out there,
I know it has been a while since I have been on here, like a whole 3 month but I have been caught up with work/school, but I do have question I have not heard about in a while. So here I go...

A few years back Linux (mainly Debian/Ubuntu) had a terrible time with laptops and shortening their life span. This was caused by the power management settings and the number of time the hard drive mounted. and also linux always using the swap space. I just didn't know if this issue was ever relsolve in the 10.04 or higher builds of Ubuntu. I know how to fix it but this is just seems a bit stupid not to worry about this in the builds. If some one could provide me some info on this it would be great because I seem to not find anything to recent about this. They say its fixed but I am not quite for sure.

I will add one more thing to this so help people that are running Ubuntu on their machine and so their drive won't die so quickly. you will need to insert the following command:

hdparm -B 254 /dev/sda

thompatry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:30 AM   #2
Daemon Poster

I had a problem with one particular drive series dieing on me prematurely, but I honestly thought it was a quality issue-- once I switched to a different drive, the problem went away.

Currently, I am running 10.04 on an HP G72 with no drive issues. Prior to that I had 10.04 running on an HP DV4-2000 (that's the one with the drive issues: 2-yr-old hard drive died, two replacements of same make/model went TU in the space of three months... went to different model and no problems since.

Civility, Substance, Subtlety, Style: Success
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:55 AM   #3
Site Team

It could be just plain HDD failure, and I don't think Ubuntu has to do with it to be frank. However the power management has been basic compared to Windows.
lhuser is offline   Reply With Quote