linux troubles

killzoneman0

In Runtime
i have an hp laptop that 802.11g wireless internet. it came with windows xp, but i switched to a linux cd. when i start up windows xp, the wireless card works and automatically connects me to a network, or tries to. however on the two linux operating systems, it doesnt automatically connect and i dont know how to get it to connect. (one of the linux os's is whax and the other is auditor system collection)

please help.

I ran into the same issue when I started dual-booting Ubuntu with XP Pro on my laptop. Ended up having to download the Linux driver, but unfortunately, you have to install it manually. It may have the driver, though. Go into the system, networking, and see if it lists your wireless card. If it does, click on activate. If it starts blinking, it has the driver, you just have to start it manually.

well, i went to system > kcontrol. then i wenty under wireless network and hit activate configuration. it still doesnt open the internet. this may however be the wrong place. can you tell me exactly what buttons to go to so i can get the screen you are talking about up. i'm fairly new to this version of linux

killzoneman0 said:
i have an hp laptop that 802.11g wireless internet. it came with windows xp, but i switched to a linux cd. when i start up windows xp, the wireless card works and automatically connects me to a network, or tries to. however on the two linux operating systems, it doesnt automatically connect and i dont know how to get it to connect. (one of the linux os's is whax and the other is auditor system collection)

please help.

apt get ???

Drivers! :)

killzoneman0 said:
well, i went to system > kcontrol. then i wenty under wireless network and hit activate configuration. it still doesnt open the internet. this may however be the wrong place. can you tell me exactly what buttons to go to so i can get the screen you are talking about up. i'm fairly new to this version of linux

Did it ask you for a root password? If it didn't then you where in the wrong place. There should be a place where it's just networking, then it will ask for a root password, because you need root privliges to do anything. Once there, it should show all your networking devices- that it has drivers for. If you go in, and it doesn't see the wireless card, then you don't have any drivers for it, and must obtain them from the manufacture Web site, or another site which has a driver, for your distro, for that specific device. What distro is it? Ubuntu? Mephis? Knoppix? Other?

no, didnt ask for root password, but when i open the wlan network config, it automatically comes up with the message. i am using the knoppix distribution of auditor security collection.

Back
Top Bottom