Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 02-02-2006, 03:55 PM   #1
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to killzoneman0
Default linux troubles

i have an hp laptop that 802.11g wireless internet. it came with windows xp, but i switched to a linux cd. when i start up windows xp, the wireless card works and automatically connects me to a network, or tries to. however on the two linux operating systems, it doesnt automatically connect and i dont know how to get it to connect. (one of the linux os's is whax and the other is auditor system collection)

please help.

killzoneman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 04:42 PM   #2
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to pctechmike Send a message via MSN to pctechmike
Default Re: linux troubles

I ran into the same issue when I started dual-booting Ubuntu with XP Pro on my laptop. Ended up having to download the Linux driver, but unfortunately, you have to install it manually. It may have the driver, though. Go into the system, networking, and see if it lists your wireless card. If it does, click on activate. If it starts blinking, it has the driver, you just have to start it manually.

pctechmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 05:33 PM   #3
In Runtime

well, i went to system > kcontrol. then i wenty under wireless network and hit activate configuration. it still doesnt open the internet. this may however be the wrong place. can you tell me exactly what buttons to go to so i can get the screen you are talking about up. i'm fairly new to this version of linux
Old 02-02-2006, 07:09 PM   #4
BSOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by killzoneman0
i have an hp laptop that 802.11g wireless internet. it came with windows xp, but i switched to a linux cd. when i start up windows xp, the wireless card works and automatically connects me to a network, or tries to. however on the two linux operating systems, it doesnt automatically connect and i dont know how to get it to connect. (one of the linux os's is whax and the other is auditor system collection)

please help.

apt get ???

Drivers!
HRHunteRHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 11:49 PM   #5
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to pctechmike Send a message via MSN to pctechmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by killzoneman0
well, i went to system > kcontrol. then i wenty under wireless network and hit activate configuration. it still doesnt open the internet. this may however be the wrong place. can you tell me exactly what buttons to go to so i can get the screen you are talking about up. i'm fairly new to this version of linux
Did it ask you for a root password? If it didn't then you where in the wrong place. There should be a place where it's just networking, then it will ask for a root password, because you need root privliges to do anything. Once there, it should show all your networking devices- that it has drivers for. If you go in, and it doesn't see the wireless card, then you don't have any drivers for it, and must obtain them from the manufacture Web site, or another site which has a driver, for your distro, for that specific device. What distro is it? Ubuntu? Mephis? Knoppix? Other?
pctechmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 08:41 AM   #6
In Runtime

no, didnt ask for root password, but when i open the wlan network config, it automatically comes up with the message. i am using the knoppix distribution of auditor security collection.