Linux Terminal In Windows XP

dyserq, the reason my command didn't work for you is because you didn't type it right; you forgot the *. Copy and paste this command exactly.

Code:
cd /cygdrive/c/Documents*

*EDIT* Thought I would add, you type ls to list the files in a directory or ls -la for more details.

Also this is a *nix terminal, use / instead of \.

x0r515t said:
dyserq, the reason my command didn't work for you is because you didn't type it right; you forgot the *. Copy and paste this command exactly.

Code:
cd /cygdrive/c/Documents*

*EDIT* Thought I would add, you type ls to list the files in a directory or ls -la for more details.

Also this is a *nix terminal, use / instead of \.

Thanks, that helped a bunch !
Umm ... one more question, why is the asterick there, is it to replace the 'and settings' from 'Documents and settings', if it is, how can i apply this principle to other commands ?

dyserq said:
Thanks, that helped a bunch !
Umm ... one more question, why is the asterick there, is it to replace the 'and settings' from 'Documents and settings', if it is, how can i apply this principle to other commands ?

Think of the asterick as a wild card, or a shortcut method. For example say I want to navigate to /usr/local/bin/insertlongstringhere, without the use of a asterick I would have to type:

Code:
cd /usr/local/bin/insertlongstringhere

If I use a asterick I can greatly reduce typing, for example:

Code:
cd /usr/local/bin/ins*

It is important to note though that if another file in /usr/local/bin/ started with ins, the system could select that file or path rather than your intended path, in this case /usr/local/bin/insertlongstringhere/. To remedy this problem you could simply specify more characters:

Code:
cd /usr/local/bin/insert*

Hope that clears things up for you.

Thanks alot ! Your really helpful lol :)
Anyways, with your help i have now figured out how to change directories to files with spaces in it, you just put quotation marks :D

Back
Top Bottom