Is Linux really worth it?

AirsoftG36c

Solid State Member
I'm currently running Windows 7, and I am in love with it. However, all my friends have Linux, or some variation of it, and I see it creeping into the computer world faster and faster(at least from my perspective) So. My question is: From the perspective of a PC gamer, is Linux/Unix/whatever actually better than Windows 7? I'm also homeschooled, and I love my Microsoft Office, and I'm worried that Linux won't support the Office programs, or anything, really that Windows supports.

From the prospective of the PC gamer stick to Windows, every new game is designed to run with Windows, you have to fanny around a bit to get it working in Linux. You can install games through WINE but it's a pain to get everything working properly.

There are some office apps that will work well on Linux like Libra Office and OpenOffice and are fully compatible and functional with .doc and .docx files.

Linux is faster and lighter but you will loose compatibility with programs (and games) forcing you to use alternatives. If you want to try it then partition up your drive and dual boot it with Ubuntu or something and see how you get on with it.

Ok, thanks for the reply, I believe I will stick with Windows for now. One more question, and this really has nothing to do with this section, but is there any way to get the Ubuntu/Linux games for Windows? I really enjoy Super Tux Carts.

I'm afraid i dont have much expirence in working it that way round. You could always install Ubuntu in a virtual machine and run it within Windows7 (if your machine can support this)

Thats all i can really think to suggest.

Thanks again ;) I did a quick Google search, and it appears that Ubuntu games may only be accessed through Ubuntu, otherwise, you have to jump through hoops to get them.

Back
Top Bottom