Linux Question

So far so good. Will take a bit to get used to it. But seems to work good and fast. Way faster than windows 7!!! If i could get my games and weather station on it i would drop windows completely! Guess i need to wait for awhile yet.

That is what I found with Linux. The nightmare way that programs have to be installed. I suppose I thought the same when I first started to use Windows many many moons ago. But that is why 99.9999999999999999999999% of the world use Windows rather than Linux. I could get used to it and run it as well as I run Windows, eventually. But I cannot be bothered so I pay for Windows and put up with Microsoft rather than persevere with Linux.

Compatibility is the only issue with Linux. It's much better than Windows, but Windows got to more people first. Most people have a lot of trouble with computers and changing OS is unimaginable. Heck, most don't know what the OS is. It's not wrong, not everyone cares about computers,but t definitely sucks for the ones that do.

Dan, running VMs is a good way of running incompatible software, although you'll need a very decent computer for this to be viable. Also, graphics drivers don't work well in VMs so if it's a game or something, forget about it. You can also probably find guides online about the settings you'll need to install your specific software. That's a much better option than a VM.

Thanks fellow, I can only go to Mint for awhile as the software for the weather station doesn't work in Linux yet. I am not alone in that issue. There is a lot of folks wanting that too. My games are old windows 95 versions. They have updated software to work in the DOS in windows 7. They won't work in windows 10 at all. I have awhile yet before i need to use mint all the time. Will keep 7 for now but would love to go for linux all the time somewhere down the road. Gog is where i got my games and they are working on some of there games so it will work in linux. It may take awhile but sooner or later they will get around to getting more programs to work on the Linux environment. I think that there is more and more people wanting to get away from windows and the main issues with security in 10. I think as we get closer to 2020 when they stop support for 7 that more will be done to encourage support for the Linux os.

I would be surprised if this situation changes, since compatibility it the developer's responsibility, because most apps are closed source, so they can't be compiled, so there is nothing Linux developers can do. With this in mind, you have someone using a free OS, so it would be correct to assume, this person doesn't like paying for software (people will tell you it is because Linux is superior, but in my opinion, it's only because it's not the "ordinary" thing to do, but in my opinion that's BS, because why else would you use an OS riddled with bugs and problems that require manual solutions? The answer: snobbism), so why would you port your software to a system that no one uses and has even less people willing to pay for your stuff?

Ok Linux Lovers. I have been thinking about trying out a new OS. I have heard lots about two of them. Linux mint- cinnamon- 64 bit. The other one i am thinking of trying is Feron OS. Its built off the Mint-Cinnamon OS. Think i would try mint first and if i don't like it then the Feron OS and see if i like it better. Anyone using these?? Any others that would be a good one for a windows old-timer? :ermm:

I tried about twenty distros over the years. Most are not useful for newbies and Windows expats. The only ones I found that were reasonably easy to figure out was MX Linux, Linux Mint, TAILS, and Kodachi Linux. I did not try Ubuntu or Deepin due to the privacy concerns, but many claim they are easy to use. My pick of the litter was MX Linux. Check out the YouTube reviews first, then the written reviews before you go to the trouble of downloading any distro, or buying a CD on eBay. Once you have a CD, most are LiveCds, so you can test drive before you actually install.

Back
Top Bottom