Linux Keyboard Shortcuts

Mossiac

In Runtime
Hi Guys,

I have looked on the internet for a list of keyboard shortcuts for linux (more specifically Debian) and have found nothing that makes any sense.

Just to clarify, an example of a windows keyboard shortcut would be "alt + Tab" to change active window.

Does anybody know if such a list exists or just reel off the basics?

Thank you in advanced.

Mossiac

Ok I dug a bit deeper into the internet and still haven't found anything conclusive. I tried a few of the shortcuts and they didn't work.

You mentioned Debian, so you already have a distribution that you want to work with. On top of that though, you get to choose your favourite windows manager. :)

(Most windows managers should have Alt + Tab working by default.)

That was just an example to reduce misunderstanding as different people call it different things.

I am after a whole list of them as, I'm not one for constantly using the mouse.

Mossiac

I'm going to use Microsoft Windows for comparison. In the world of Windows, you have Windows as your OS. There are no different "distributions" in the sense of Linux distributions. And Windows happens to be the windows manager as well, unless you layer upon it another windows manager (but the underlying windows manager would always be Windows).

In other words, you have: Windows (OS) > Windows (windows manager)

In the world of Linux, however, you would have Linux the kernel. Different distributions are built upon this Linux kernel. You see the OS as Linux distribution. On top of it, you get to choose which windows manager you want to work with, and things like short cuts are usually defined by windows managers.

So, you have: Linux (kernel) > Linux distribution (OS) > some windows manager

This explains why you won't find much searching for short cuts for Linux (be it the kernel or the distribution).

Oh ok. So I just have to try out a load of key combos and note the ones that do things?

Mossiac

Haha, no. Find out what windows manager you use, and look up on how to set up short cuts for that particular windows manager.

Ok.

Not really too fussed about mucking things up as it is a fresh install.

But thanks for the help

Mossiac

I've got some basic ones here. You can also change some commands to shorten the process so there mroe convenient to you, Also if you know how to, you can create scritps and give them a commands name so that you can use them inside your linux box.

Simple Commands:
echo- Display a Message
kill- Kill a Process
ps- Display Process Status
pwd- Display Current Working Directory
who- List Logged On Users
cat- Display File Contents
cp- Copy Files
lp- Print Files
ls- List Directory Contents
mkdir- Create Directories
mv- Move or Rename Files
rm- Remove Files

Hope these help,

VIVV

---------- Post added at 11:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 AM ----------

Also a quick tip, you can find some good online free SQL and Linux Courses, I've done a few and they'ev becoem pretty handy.

VIVV

Back
Top Bottom