Linux & Games

lhuser

Golden Master
OK, my Windows is going flushed again by activation corruption (long story short) and now, I am probably switching to Suse Linux.

Now, here's the deal, I will install Whine For Linux (I hope I can do it lol) and will Install CS:S and Steam, as well as UT2004 and company. Now, Will I experience the same FPS and sound accuracy than Windows, or will I have like 1FPS and a gunshot 5 seconds I shot a guy?

Specs:

ASUS P4S800D-X
P4 Prescott 3GHZ w. HT
Geforce FX 5200 (Yes, it plays it)
1GB RAM DDR 400 (Trying to save money for DDR 533)
160Gb HDD ATA.133 from Maxtor
SoundMAX INtergrated audio
SIS 655FX chipset
DVD drive
CD drive
450W PSU

Now, will it do and will I be able to operate?

If I can play these games, I can stick with Linux for EVER.

I know in a screenshot, one has America's Army, and I had to lower settings for me to play OK, but that's like nothing...

Wine should be able to run most of your PC games. And I believe you'll experience roughly the same FPS if not better then if you were runnign Windows XP. Just try using the OS and see how it goes, it's worth a shot.

And it won't affect my CS:S and company's account?

Like, I won't have to buy another CD key (Which I think not)

And...Does Whine go Fullscreen?

Wine doesnt work very well. it works... yes but thats about it. I wouldnt suggest it if your running any high end apps

Games mostly depends on system specs, not the OS.

Now, is there another good program than Wine?

lhuser said:
Games mostly depends on system specs, not the OS.

Now, is there another good program than Wine?

Actually the games do depend heavily on the operating system. From the looks of it, you'll be able to run CS:S without a problem using Windows. For Linux, you can use WINE or Cegeda to run but you may run into some problems, it's simply because of the fact that games like CS:S and UT2K4 were made for Windows.

Despite this, try it out. It'll probably work.

Back
Top Bottom