Learning Linux!

Ok now I need some linux help.

I have downloaded the tar.gz or whatever for flash player (macromedia) then extracted those. Now it says to run ./installflashplayer or whatever in the command line in that folder, but theres no command line?

By the way I can't always get to CF so anyone reading this that can help and is going to or has posted, please AIM me at eightate8at8.

MarxSoccer said:
By the way I can't always get to CF so anyone reading this that can help and is going to or has posted, please AIM me at eightate8at8.

if u have msn messenger pm me ur email.

And u really don't need to download that stuff, just use 'apt-get install [package name here]' and it will get the newest version of that package. If it can't find the package then u have to add a website with that package to ur sources.list located at /etc/apt/sources.list. After u edit the sources.list use 'apt-get update' command to make the packaging tool (apt) update it's sources.
And use 'sudo' in front of them to make yourself root.

So like the update thing u would write this to the console:
sudo apt-get update

then it will ask u for ur root password and then continue with the operation. (not sure if the update command needs the user to be root, but shouldn't hurt if u use the 'sudo' even if u don't need it)

mammikoura:

All linux distros have a standard, like cd will change directory on ALL distros and rmdir will delete a directory on all distros too same thing with TONS of commands. You'll also notice a majority of commands are similar to unix and BSD.

Different distros have different feels to them, and how they go about managing your stuff. Like gentoo uses portage, other distros use RPM and so forth. That's what makes em different. Like firefox and internet explorer. They both have to follow the same set of rules for http, tcp / ip ect, and know how to display a website. But it's different in the way they do things and how they feel and the features.

RewtGuy said:
mammikoura:

All linux distros have a standard, like cd will change directory on ALL distros and rmdir will delete a directory on all distros too same thing with TONS of commands. You'll also notice a majority of commands are similar to unix and BSD.

Different distros have different feels to them, and how they go about managing your stuff. Like gentoo uses portage, other distros use RPM and so forth. That's what makes em different. Like firefox and internet explorer. They both have to follow the same set of rules for http, tcp / ip ect, and know how to display a website. But it's different in the way they do things and how they feel and the features.

Yes I know some of the commands are the same. But like package management/software installation uses different commands in different distros right? So u have to install things different ways, using different commands. Atleast I thought so because on some websites where I check how to install something it gives different ways for some distros. I'm pretty sure that I'd manage to get mp3 support working in my media player in kubuntu quite quickly. But if I had to do the same thing say in gentoo, it would probably take ages.

No matter what distro you use, all of the basic commands ARE the same. ls, cd, mkdir, rmdir, etc. The main difference between distros, aside from minor kernel tweaking, and not including BSD branches, is usually the way they manage packages. For example Debian uses apt, Suse uses yum, Fedora/Redhat uses RPM, and Gentoo uses emerge/portage. There are linux tutorials all over the place on the web, but the best way is to just go in and start using it. If you ever need help with a command, just type a "man <command>" and it will show you the documentation for that program. Just be sure not to "rm -rf /" as root, and have a nice day. :)

Yes.

There's tons of ways you can bork a *nix box as root.

When installing linux it's pretty much the same on all versions, some may be more user dependant than others or have different commands, but usually the commands are just built off other commands, programs and scripts that you could have executed manually yourself.

Back
Top Bottom