Laptop won't tether

Zymek

Solid State Member
Hi, my Asus 541x laptop that I bought from best buy in 2017 says it's connected to my phone but the web browser says "hmmm can't reach this page" every time. It won't connect at McDonald's either. I've tried alot already. I made sure wifi was on and even turned off windows defender. I suspect McAfee livesafe. The trial has expired and I think it might be blocking the internet. I've tried to uninstall it and it won't do it. I'm stumped, any ideas before I buy another one?
Thanks

Hello.

What kind of tethering are you trying, USB, Bluetooth or wireless hotspot?

Also, I heard that this is not allowed in USA. If that's true, maybe the operator (ISP or phone provider) blocked it?

I take that when you say it wont connect at Mcdonalds you are using their wifi rather than trying to tether via your phone. I think phone tehering is done using bluetooth although I have never tried it. If it wont connect via wifi at Mcd then I suspect your wireless card. You could try avery cheap USB wireless dongle from Ebay.

I've had good results with Ccleaner to uninstall difficult junk and also Revo uninstaller. Both free programs.

Hello.

What kind of tethering are you trying, USB, Bluetooth or wireless hotspot?

Also, I heard that this is not allowed in USA. If that's true, maybe the operator (ISP or phone provider) blocked it?

Hi Smart_Guy! Wireless hotspot, from my cellphone. I used to tether my laptop to my phone with it. I'm pretty sure it's allowed here. It shows no sign on my phone that says it's not available. I turn it on every day at work for something else.

Hi, my Asus 541x laptop that I bought from best buy in 2017 says it's connected to my phone but the web browser says "hmmm can't reach this page" every time. It won't connect at McDonald's either. I've tried alot already. I made sure wifi was on and even turned off windows defender. I suspect McAfee livesafe. The trial has expired and I think it might be blocking the internet. I've tried to uninstall it and it won't do it. I'm stumped, any ideas before I buy another one?

Thanks

Your computer can see your phone in WiFi section and able to connect to it? Does it say connected in status?

If it says connected and unable to browse internet check with your phone company if it has enough data.

I take that when you say it wont connect at Mcdonalds you are using their wifi rather than trying to tether via your phone. I think phone tehering is done using bluetooth although I have never tried it. If it wont connect via wifi at Mcd then I suspect your wireless card. You could try avery cheap USB wireless dongle from Ebay.

I've had good results with Ccleaner to uninstall difficult junk and also Revo uninstaller. Both free programs.

Yes, it (laptop) won't connect on mcd open WiFi. I did troubleshooting, it says everything is operating. In device manager there is no exclamation symbol saying the Realtek wireless card don't work. Thanks for the tips on the uninstallers.

---------- Post added at 12:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 AM ----------

Your computer can see your phone in WiFi section and able to connect to it? Does it say connected in status?

If it says connected and unable to browse internet check with your phone company if it has enough data.

Yes, it says connected and internet access. Which is funny becuz there is no internet. Plenty of data. No issue there with straighttalk.

Yes, it (laptop) won't connect on mcd open WiFi. I did troubleshooting, it says everything is operating. In device manager there is no exclamation symbol saying the Realtek wireless card don't work. Thanks for the tips on the uninstallers.

---------- Post added at 12:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 AM ----------

Yes, it says connected and internet access. Which is funny becuz there is no internet. Plenty of data. No issue there with straighttalk.

Run a ‘tracert 8.8.8.8.' command on your console (command prompt) and see if any * is showing. You can post results here. It will be clear where the problem will be.

If there is * at very top you are not connected and * somewhere in between then your internet itself not working.

Last edited:
Run a ‘tracert 8.8.8.8.' command on your console (command prompt) and see if any * is showing. You can post results here. It will be clear where the problem will be.

If there is * at very top you are not connected and * somewhere in between then your internet itself not working.
I'm at work but I will when I wake up.
Thanks

Sorry if my English is not serving me well, so let's connect the dots for a better understanding.

The problem is that you're trying to use the internet from your phone on your laptop. You're connecting your laptop to your phone thru its wireless hotspot. The browser on the laptop does not connect to the internet even tho the wireless connection icon says there's internet connection when you hover over it.

Do you have another internet source that works okay on your laptop?

If my understanding is correct, make sure the browser is not using a proxy. Sometimes a proxy is automatically set. Some VPN's, for example, do that.

Try safely testing other browsers to diagnose the problem. Maybe the current browser is having a problem.

Back
Top Bottom