Laptop Stuck On BIOS Load Screen/Won't Load Vista

airbusA346

Solid State Member
Hi,

Laptop is a Samsung R510 running Vista.

When it is switched on, it gets stuck on the Samsung BIOS load screen. The F2 (Setup) and F4 (Recovery) buttons don't work unless they are pressed straight away. But when they are pressed it says 'Please Wait', but nothing happens.

I have changed the CMOS battery, but it hasn't helped.

I have also taken the hard drive out and turned it on, still the same. Each RAM stick has been tried on its own, and it is still the same.

Can anyone help?

Try removing all power to the laptop (battery and all) and then pressing the power button a few times to flush the RAM. After that, turn it on and go straight into the BIOS and perform a factory reset of the BIOS. Should be labeled "Restore factory defaults" or something to that effect. That won't effect Vista, just the BIOS.

Try removing all power to the laptop (battery and all) and then pressing the power button a few times to flush the RAM. After that, turn it on and go straight into the BIOS and perform a factory reset of the BIOS. Should be labeled "Restore factory defaults" or something to that effect. That won't effect Vista, just the BIOS.

Have removed battery and power cable. Press power button 10 times.

Switched it back on and it is still the same. F2 and F4 don't work they just make it say 'Please Wait', but nothing happens. :(

It seems to get stuck, because there is a blue progress bar at the bottom, which is stopped part of the way and doesn't move anymore.

Remove the power and the BIOS battery and let it sit like that for several hours. Removing the BIOS battery and letting its capacitors drain will return it to factory defaults.

Okay, time for experiments. Harmless experiments I mean.

There must be a clear CMOS jumper somewhere. Try locating it and triggering it with a screw driver. Boot after clearing it several times with the battery detached and try to access the BIOS to restore factory settings, turn off then return the battery back then again access the bios and reload factory settings. Some times computers have a mind of their own.

Not sure about add-on devices on laptops, but try to remove anything that is not necessary to boot. Including any disk in the optical drive.

time for experiments. Harmless experiments

[...]

Try locating it and triggering it with a screw driver.

Connecting random jumpers on the motherboard is hardly what I would consider harmless. As these are not clearly labeled, he could potentially make the problem worse.

What was it that you were doing before any of this? Was an external drive plugged in? Maybe a USB? I ask because once I had an external connected and I didn't shut down correctly and the only way I was able to get it back going was by plugging it back in and turning it back on.

Connecting random jumpers on the motherboard is hardly what I would consider harmless. As these are not clearly labeled, he could potentially make the problem worse.

I could swear I replied to this. Oh well.

Sorry, what I meant was for the steps to do after locating the jumper. It has to be found professionally first.

Usually on desktop setups manufacturers label it Clr_cmos or something like that.

Back
Top Bottom