Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-20-2013, 08:12 PM   #1
Golden Master
 
BK_123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,528
Default Laptop Problem

Hi guys, I have an Acer Aspire 4820 laptop. A while ago it stopped working and I have gone to turn it on and there is a black screen after it gives you the option to go into the bios. It won't show the windows 7 loading screen. I've checked in the boot order in the bios to make sure the hard drive is set to boot first and it is.

Specs are:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit
4GB DDR3 Ram
500GB HDD
Intel Core i3-350M CPU @ 2.26GHz
Intel HD Graphics
__________________

BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:00 PM   #2
In Runtime
 
lhamil64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 398
Default Re: Laptop Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK_123 View Post
Hi guys, I have an Acer Aspire 4820 laptop. A while ago it stopped working and I have gone to turn it on and there is a black screen after it gives you the option to go into the bios. It won't show the windows 7 loading screen. I've checked in the boot order in the bios to make sure the hard drive is set to boot first and it is.

Specs are:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit
4GB DDR3 Ram
500GB HDD
Intel Core i3-350M CPU @ 2.26GHz
Intel HD Graphics
Have you tried booting from a Linux CD and checking if your hard drive is still accessible?
__________________

__________________
--Lee
Website/Blog: http://lhamil64.wordpress.com
lhamil64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:34 PM   #3
..m.0,0.m..
Site Team
 
iPwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 3,870
Default Re: Laptop Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhamil64 View Post
Have you tried booting from a Linux CD and checking if your hard drive is still accessible?
I didn't think those had CD drives?

If not, you can use UNetBootIn to create a bootable USB drive from a Linux distro.
__________________
Me: You'd think as the dominant species we wouldn't be so effing stupid.
J: We're just intelligent enough to be completely effing stupid.
iPwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:32 PM   #4
Golden Master
 
BK_123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,528
Default Re: Laptop Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwn View Post
I didn't think those had CD drives?

If not, you can use UNetBootIn to create a bootable USB drive from a Linux distro.
I have an ISO of Ubuntu 12.04 so I'll give it a try with that and report back.
BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:48 PM   #5
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: England, UK
Posts: 34
Send a message via Skype™ to Venus
Default Re: Laptop Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhamil64 View Post
Have you tried booting from a Linux CD and checking if your hard drive is still accessible?
I doubt this would be an issue since it would just report no boot files found; plus you can tell by checking the activity light anyway.

I'd check the RAM, as if there's a fault with that then you normally just get a blank screen like you describe. Try swapping your ram around, taking out out etc...
Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:31 AM   #6
Baseband Member
 
Moren0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: US
Posts: 74
Default

Had the same problem on a desktop all I did was remove the ram and reinstalled it and it worked.
Moren0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:46 AM   #7
Golden Master
 
BK_123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,528
Default Re: Laptop Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moren0 View Post
Had the same problem on a desktop all I did was remove the ram and reinstalled it and it worked.
So I took one stick of ram out at a time and a message appeared
Quote:
A disk read error has occurred
Press Ctrl+Alt=Del to restart
, So my hard drive is failing. As this laptop is a rental and we have 2-3 months until we own it, I'll take it in and have it sent off to be repaired.
BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:06 AM   #8
Wizard of Wires
 
setishock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Not sure
Posts: 10,030
Default Re: Laptop Problem

If it was new in the box they'll most likely RMA it. If used when you got it ask for a new one still in the box. Since you're renting to own and paying 2 to 3 times what it's really worth, make em jump through a few hoops for you.
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:11 PM   #9
Golden Master
 
BK_123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,528
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by setishock View Post
If it was new in the box they'll most likely RMA it. If used when you got it ask for a new one still in the box. Since you're renting to own and paying 2 to 3 times what it's really worth, make em jump through a few hoops for you.
We've had it for the last 2-3 years and its 2nd or 3rd we've had to take it back. I doubt that they'd give a new one as I don't think they offer that model anymore..
BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:32 PM   #10
Wizard of Wires
 
setishock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Not sure
Posts: 10,030
Default Re: Laptop Problem

You been paying for that for 3 years?
Out of production. Amazon has it though > Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Acer Aspire TimelineX AS4820T-5570 14-Inch HD Display Laptop (Black Brushed Aluminum)
I really hope you can get it fixed.
__________________

setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0