laptop freezes ONLY when trying surf internet

Tried that. I was on craigslist for about 20 minutes thinking it was all good now..until it froze again. Any other ideas? I don't know what to do.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Computer Forums mobile app

You are positive that it doesn't freeze if you just leave it on or if you try doing something like word processing for a length of time?

I'm starting to wonder if it's a hardware issue.

I can try just to double check I don't have much I can do on it with out going online but I'll see what I can do with out going online to see if it freezes up. It's weird that it would be hardware if it worked fine before formatting it.

Could be an issue with the hard drive or something. Have you tried just letting it sit for a while and then coming back and seeing if it's frozen? Do you have a DVD you could play and see if it freezes.

The fact that you say you don't do anything else on it except browse the web makes me think that this is a valid test that we need to do. If you did lots of other things and it only happened while web browsing then it would be different but since you don't do anything else on it, this will possibly point us in the right direction.

Okay so finally had time to play with the laptop... I turned off my wifi on it to make sure I wasn't connected to internet. I started to play a DVD movie and played the minesweeper game at the same and it froze again.

---------- Post added at 07:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 PM ----------

I think it's safe to say that it's freezing even when not browsing the internet.

---------- Post added at 07:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 PM ----------

I re booted it.. Started the movie again and played through the previews and froze once more. Any ideas now?

Now it sounds more like an overheating issue. Could you download a temperature monitoring program (even if you have to save it to USB from another computer - and hope you have time to install it before it freezes).

Otherwise it could be hardware related - like RAM or the Motherboard. But lets start with the temp issues.

Also, does the battery hold a charge? Could you take the battery out and let it run on AC power only and see what happens?

Battery does hold a charge and it does power up and stay on with just ac plugged in. I will download a temp monitoring program and see what happens. any ideas of free temp monitoring software I can use?

Okay so I found software fairly quick actually... I just barely turned on my laptop ran the software, CPU core #1 41 Celsius, CPU core #2 44 Celsius... Went straight to Amazon and almost instantly froze. Froze at those temp readings.

That was without the battery right? So then we can rule out a bad battery.

Those are warm, but not overheating so that doesn't seem to be the issue.

Have you run Memtest86?

My next solution is probably to try to reload it and see if that fixes it. Otherwise I'm kind of out of ideas. Just make sure you have all your files backed up before you reload it.

Back
Top Bottom