Jailbreaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssc456

Fully Optimized
Hey guys before start discussing this, is this against the CF rules?

I believe jailbreaking is perfectly legal, I don't plan on talking about stolen apps etc.

I'm talking about jailbreaking for extra themes / modifications etc then a legitimate app store app (SkyGo) which is free, saying "does not work on jailbroken devices".

Now there used to be away round this by getting the older version of the SkyGo app through cydia and installing it through Installous. But as many JB fans may know Installous went kaput on the turn of 2013.

Any ideas in 2013 how to get SkyGo working on a Jailbroken iPad?

Cheers.

Well this is from the rules
Hacking, Cracking and Unlocking
Do not ask for or offer activation codes for software, links to Bit Torrents, instructions for breaking in to web sites, e-mail, message services, or software.
Discussion around the removal or recovery of passwords is limited to assistance contacting the Manufacturer (Hardware), Original Owner (Software/OS/File) or Site Authority (Web based).
Discussions/posts regarding techniques/assistance 'hacking' are not permitted.
Posts containing illegally shared data are not allowed. This includes, but is not limited to, linking download sites/methods (regardless of protocol) to illegal or copyrighted material. Only open source/freeware/owner sponsored (e.g. office.microsoft.com) links may be shared.

It doesn't say anything about jailbreaking or would you class cracking as jailbreaking?

Hmmm well technically it's hacking or cracking I would say.

But then those are bogus rules anyways. I think there is a big difference between hacking someone's email or Facebook account and "hacking" a piece of code that you had or found to do something different that wasn't it's original purpose?

Yes there is a big difference, jail isn't illegal is it?
Jailbreaking is a form of hacking.....you have rules and should abide them.

If you have doubts take it up with the Admin & Mods.

Jailbreaking is completely legal for phones but not tablets as per the US Congress.

Jailbreaking Is Now Legal For Smartphones—But Not Tablets

For the next three years, you'll be allowed to jailbreak smartphones but not tablet computers. You'll be able to unlock phones purchased before January 2013 but not phones purchased after that. It will be legal to rip DVDs to use an excerpt in a documentary, but not to play it on your iPad.

So no matter what it is classified as, the US Congress has made it legal to do such activities for 3 years starting in 2012. Which means that if a person wishes to discuss jailbreaking their phone, then they have the right per the US Gov't to do so.

The reason I keep bringing up the US Gov't, this site is hosted in the USA therefor it falls under the US Gov't Laws. The Site Team may think differently and they have every right to enforce their rules, it should be noted that the Gov't that hosts the site doesnt consider it illegal per the rules that they operate under.

The law is not king in any forum. The owner/admin has the right to not allow certain topics at their decretion.

dis·cre·tion
/disˈkreSHən/
Noun
1.The quality of behaving or speaking in such a way as to avoid causing offense or revealing private information.
2.The freedom to decide what should be done in a particular situation.

The government can not come in to any forum and dictate policy. So forget singing that tired old song.

While the law is not king, they can not claim that the activity is illegal and therefor against their rules. They can't call it hacking or cracking or anything like that.

So while they may use their discretion to discriminate against jailbreaking, they can't call it illegal in any way.

So nice try with that tired old song, but I know for a fact they are trying to call it illegal and hacking when it is not. So you cant really ban someone or give them infraction for talking about something completely legal. I have proof from the US Congress to back me up saying that it is completely legal till 2015. What defense other than they want to disciminate against jailbreakers do they have? Absolutely none. Since there is nothing clearly stated in the rules against talking about jail breaking nor what they consider jailbreaking to be, then it can be discussed freely and openly until such a time when it is clearly stated within the rules.

Discretion can be used both ways. They can try to say what they want, but since it is proven that what they consider it to be is wrong, they cant say that it is wrong to talk about it. They can only move forward from here saying that they will not allow it cause they consider it to be hacking/cracking and despite the fact it is completely legal, they dont want it here. I dont see that anywhere. Till those words are presented, the topic falls completely within their own very stated rules to follow.

Since I know the owners of the site and the fact they have several other sites that they own and talk tech and such topics are discussed there, what are the odds that the owners of the site will allow it here? So thank you for playing but I have a bit more information about this that you realize.

Last edited:
While the law is not king, they can not claim that the activity is illegal and therefor against their rules. They can't call it hacking or cracking or anything like that.

So while they may use their discretion to discriminate against jailbreaking, they can't call it illegal in any way.

So nice try with that tired old song, but I know for a fact they are trying to call it illegal and hacking when it is not. So you cant really ban someone or give them infraction for talking about something completely legal. I have proof from the US Congress to back me up saying that it is completely legal till 2015. What defense other than they want to disciminate against jailbreakers do they have? Absolutely none. Since there is nothing clearly stated in the rules against talking about jail breaking nor what they consider jailbreaking to be, then it can be discussed freely and openly until such a time when it is clearly stated within the rules.

Discretion can be used both ways. They can try to say what they want, but since it is proven that what they consider it to be is wrong, they cant say that it is wrong to talk about it. They can only move forward from here saying that they will not allow it cause they consider it to be hacking/cracking and despite the fact it is completely legal, they dont want it here. I dont see that anywhere. Till those words are presented, the topic falls completely within their own very stated rules to follow.

Since I know the owners of the site and the fact they have several other sites that they own and talk tech and such topics are discussed there, what are the odds that the owners of the site will allow it here? So thank you for playing but I have a bit more information about this that you realize.

In the end the owners of this forum make the rules what can be posted and what cannot be posted....simple as that.

Now we see if BK_123 and the rest of the gang make a simple decision where Jailbreaking is a legit or banned topic since the question has come up.

This thread is closed pending discussion by the site team. It may be re-opened or may remained closed based on the discussioin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom