Irql_not_less_or_equal-----help!!!!!

jonny912

Baseband Member
This is driving me crazy!
I recently installed an ASUS 9250 AGP graphics card and adding another 256Mb stick of ram.
It worked for a while (a week) then almost EVERY time I log into win XP i get
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL bla bla bla
occaisonally I'll get the PFN_LIST_CORRUPT error as well
Ok reboot I get the same error as soon as I login!
I'd say that I get the error 9 out of 10 times that I login and on the odd time I dont get the error the system seems stable and I am able to do things
One more thing
Im running dual boot so I also have SUSE 10.0 and 10.1 linux running
the thing is Linux works absolutly fine with the new card and the new memory which suggests that the new hardware is compatible
also drivers are made for windows and tested on windows not linux so I doubt the linux driver is better than the windows one
I've downloaded the latest driver for the graphics card (121Mb so I dont want to again)

if anyone could help it would be most appreciated!
:confused: :confused: :( :mad:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL = A driver conflict- even though you have verified that the driver is on the HCL. Could also be the memory. I recommend running Memtest86 on the memory and see what happens. If it tells you it's good, I suspect the video card driver.

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT = Bad RAM. Check out this link...
https://www.osronline.com/article.cfm?article=334

ok thx
how do you run Memtest86? do you have to download it?
I have run a memory test that came with linux, it ran for hours without any errors
I have also run Driver Verifier and it came up with 5 unsigned drivers, EVERY single one of them had to do with the video card
Should I delete all video drivers, and reinstall them? because im backing up my docs now to do a full format of C drive and reinstall windowz

Ok I havnt run memtest yet but I have deleted and reinstlled the video card drivers.
I ran driver verifier and only got 3 bad files having to do with the video card, more importantly I've logged in several times now without any BSODs
If i get another BSOD I'll run memtest
thx for ur help guys

Well what do you know the memory test that came with linux IS memtest86 and it ran for hours with no errors
but windowz woulnt boot so I went into "safe" mode and 30 secs in I get BSOD Irql_not_less_or_equal
and when windows does boot in safe mode(s) where the welcome screen is supposed to be, its an empty black screen. So im going to reformat from linux and reinstall windowz then if errors contine im getting a new video card.

ok windows seems to be getting worse and worse
I've low level formatted the windows partition (took 9 hours)
and since my windows install disk wont let me instll fresh I've installed windows 98 (win 98 is fine with the card) and tryed to upgrade with my install disk
I get an IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD again!
so I've tryed pulling the AGP graphics card out (theres no way to disable it in BIOS)
when I start the comp I get some beep codes and nothing appears on the screen (yes I plugged the screen into the onboard graphics port)
so the comp wont start without the AGP card in!
So Im thinking Im goin to have to wipe the CMOS memory right?
how do I do this? Pull out the battery on the mobo right? Its soldered on! and I dont want to mess around with a soldering gun on the mobo unless I really have to...
help?anyone?

I've seen systems that have simply had numerous problems with Windows, for no apparent reason. This system sounds like one of them. Resetting CMOS is not going to help the Windows issue. Also, make sure you have the latest BIOS update for your mobo. Sometimes the BIOS is out of date as far as low-level hardware is concerned, and telling Windows it's one thing when it's not.

***Caution!*** If you flash the BIOS, make sure you read AND understand the instructions and follow them closely. Not doing so could result in no computer at all.

Thats what I've been thinking about recently, I guess I'll do some reading up on BIOS flashing and give it a try
Also I know wipeing CMOS isnt going to fix my windows problem but having no graphics card should, as it worked fine before the new graphics card was installed. Its just nothing will start without the card in the AGP slot, and I assume its the CMOS that remembers thers a graphics card from when I shut down...so if nothings telling the computer thers no graphics in AGP it should start normally using the mobo's onboard graphics.
thx for your help

Pop out the battery to CMOS and let it stay out for about 5 minutes. Then place it back in. Try booting. I just had a system the other day that would not boot for anything- I tried the systematic way, taking away one device at a time until I got to "bare-bones" and still nothing. Popped out the CMOS battery for about 5 minutes, back in, the computer posted. This may get your computer to boot, but you will have to go into safe mode- if you can make it- and uninstall that video card. It shouldn't show up in Device Manager in Windows, but it probably will in safe mode. Good luck. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom