IO changes

Jusoljoe

Solid State Member
Can I disable or delete the DELL IO and install Windows normally on a Dell computer and use a new hard drive?:hide:

Little confused about what you mean by IO.
In the computer word, IO means "input output".
So what is it you want to delete.

For what i can gather from your post, you want to reinstall windows on another harddrive.
Easy enough. Problem is that your windows license is an OEM license.
That means you can't just type in your license key to microsoft's website and get a download link to a new installation.
You will have to contact DELL and make them send you a re-installation CD for your specifik computer.

Another thing you can do, is to clone your drive over to the new drive.
That will work. If you then need a fresh installation, you can just reset windows after the cloning process have completed.
(that is if you have win8 or win10. If you have windows 7, i recommend upgrading it to windows 10. You have until this summer to do it. Otherwise it will cost you money to do so.)

Biker Echo, Thanks for the reply!. I can understand your confusion.

Little confused about what you mean by IO.
In the computer word, IO means "input output".
So what is it you want to delete.

What I meant, but couldn't come up with the term while typing, was BIOS. I want to install a new HD and new windows 7, but the Dell BIOS will not allow it. Is there a way to wipe or change the BIOS to allow what I am trying. It is my wife's barely used computer. Her HD died.

A new computer would solve the problem but cost a lot more for her purposes. If it starts and gets on the internet for Facebook or email, she can handle it....a new machine and new windows...no way. We are both in the mid 80's and brains are slowing down. :facepalm:
Thanks again for your reply.

Joe

Last edited:
Ohh, so that's what you meant.
You can't delete or deactivate your bios. On some expensive motherboards, you can take out the BIOS chip.
But the computer will simply not work without it.

So you already have a windows installation ready, and the computer won't boot it up. Is that it?
(booting something means to launch a program or installation without the use of an OS (operating system))

Can you tell me step by step what is happening?

We do need a lot more information. I think you may have a Dell computer that has UEFI type bios. This type of bios (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) will not allow you to install Windows without a bit of fiddling around with the bios settings. If this isn't the case for your computer then there is no reason why you shouldn't be able reinstall Windows 7, assuming that is what you had on your computer initially) but, again, it could be that your bios is not set to boot from a DVD or a USB stick to start the install process..

As I say we do need a lot more info. What version of Windows is/was on it. Do you have a Microsoft product key for whatever version of Windows you had. What is the model of your computer. That will do for a start.

Funny. I actually did write something about UEFI, but edited it out.
It should be able to boot up a windows installations without having to enable legacy support.

But then again, it's windows 7. That might be it.
I have only tried installing Windows 8 and 10 with legacy support disabled.
So yeah, that's something to try. Good call.

You will find legancy support under the security tap in the bios.
Then you will have to restart and enter the boot options menu. Usually by hitting F8 during the posting. (When you see the DELL logo right after you press the power button)
If you have your windows installation on a USB, you will see your USB drive in the boot menu 2 times. One that says something about UEFI and one that doesn't. Choose the one that doesn't.

Last edited:
@BikerEcho Well they are only some answers I think we need. As far as I am aware UEFI started when Windows 8 came out so if the OP had Windows 7 on his pc originally then he, probably, wont have UEFI. But we don't really know that. Of course if he did have Win 8 on then he will need a valid product key for his Win 7. if he had Win 7 he will still need a valid product key which should be on his computer somewhere and, possibly, he will only have to set his bios to boot from an installation DVD or USB stick. The reason I thought he might have UEFI is because his post suggested he did not have installation media. Up to Windows 8 Dell did supply installation media but when they started supplying Win 8 you had to make your own, which was prompted at the initial setup, or download Windows 8 media creation tool. It gets a lot more complicated after Win 7 LOL but not impossible. Oh and he will not get installation media from Dell without a large expense I'm afraid, if at all now.

Yeah, more info like a moddel name would be nice to have.

If the computer is still under warranty, a supply CD should be free. I got one for free once.
however that's about 7 years ago. So things have properly changed :lol:
Who uses CD's now anyway

Hey Guys,

I have been trying to reply but could not sign in with any username or PW combination I could relate. Will re-register I guess.

At any rate I have been in & out of the setup with so many tries I am not at all sure what finally succeeded in the usable solution. But it will ultimately boot into a new installation of win 7 on a new HD, so my wife can get to her emails....Whew!

The solution: it boots into post with text options to "press f1 for....", "press f2 for....", etc. I can press f1 to continue and "bingo", the new HD with Win 7 starts windows and we are where we need to be. So I will let well-enough alone, accepting the one extra step process.

The computer is a Dell Optiplex 755 from EBay with Vista OS as I got it. The HD in it will not be recognized by the computer or as an external through my other computers, so I assume it is dead. At any rate, short of buying a new computer, I am done with this one for now.

Thanks again for all your helpful suggestions and I apologize for my late response.

Joe

Back
Top Bottom