Internet Connection Problem

shamrocktuesday

Beta member
Acer aspire one 521 Windows 7 32 bit

Hey Guys:
So initially, I was asked to fix this when it could browse the internet but the Skype Installation package could not connect to the internet. It's not connecting through a proxy anymore, and I have changed the IP address and reset the TCP/IP, but it's still not working. Even worse, since I did the last bit, internet connection is gone altogether on the netbook.

It had expired Norton on it, which I deleted and installed AVG instead with an offline installer. AVG can't update the virus database either now. Turning off windows firewall doesn't help. And other computers (like the one I'm using to write this can connect fine on the network). Xbox live also works, so it's a computer problem not a network one.

I'm pretty stumped now, so Id really appreciate any help!

did you update recently on microsoft? try a system restore to roll back the drivers.. I'm guessing if you was just using the computer like everyday use and microsoft updates automatically installed some updates that may conflict with the stuff you're doing or a bad update or something around them lines..

I'm not sure if it's the internet 'ON' the pc, or skype downloading.. what is the problem ?

It's windows 7 starter, and i don't think the owner (My not so ICT literate Aunt) has ever updated it, as I've installed over 50 Windows updates.

The internet was fine on it. I got to download Skype and AVG. Installed them, but skype can't connect to the internet to log in any account now. And AVG is installed fine, but it is unable to update it's database. All this while normal internet browsing worked fine.

I dont know about a system restore, as it's a new laptop and as far as I know has always had this problem. Would it still fix it?

Thanks, we are getting somewhere..

Why not try deleting skype and then download :

Download CCleaner 3.14.1616 - FileHippo.com

And install and run the program and clean the computer , do it 2x, then click registry and scan and fix all issues, now click mycomputer, c:drive , goto your windows folder, look for a folder called prefetch, delete everything 'IN' the file, not the file, redownload skype and install.

Thanks for all your help, but it didn't work. I downloaded CC and transferred it to the comp, and did what you said. Then I downloaded skype and transferred it too, but it still couldnt connect. On that netbook, I now cant connect to the internet at all, even though it says it's connected successfully via ethernet.

have you tried Ethernet cable & wireless ??

try norton removal tool to completely remove norton , i have found before thats norton files are completely scattered everywhere ,

Back
Top Bottom