Internet browser, multiple entries in Task Manger

dominover1

Baseband Member
Not sure if I've posted this on the right forum.

When I open google chrome, firefox or internet explorer I see multiple entries of it in the 'Windows Task Manager'. I only ever have one tab in the internet browser at any one time.

Does anyone know why this is. It seems to drain the life out of my computer?

Thanks

It is normal for Chrome to have multiple processes running.

If you want to know why there are more process than your tabs opened, read the following simple description.

Main Process:
Chrome's main process handles the UI, tab management and so on. There are usually only one process that do the work.

Renderer Process(es):
The renderer handles rendering the page. Roughly, each tab consume one, but some special case make tabs into a single one - same domain uses same renderer, and no more than 20 renderer - newly opened tabs will use existing renderer if exceeded. Renderer Process runs in a sandbox that can increase security by separating in sandboxes. When one renderer crashes, other tabs or the main process will not be affected, and users will be able to reload the page by refreshing.

Plugin Process(es):
As plugins should have higher permission than a webpage, and in order to keep Renderer Processes in the sandbox, plugins are separated. Also when one crashes, other plugins or tabs or the main process will not be affected.

Extension Process(es):
Similar to the others, separating extensions into processes is to keep them in sandbox... and a crashing extension will not let the whole browser down.

There is a built-in task manager for Chrome. Press Shift+Esc or "right click on title bar -> Task Manager" to launch it. You can see clearly - and may end processes if one's not responding. Ending processes this way will keep those addresses on your browser, with a "sad tab" replacing it, as mentioned in "Renderer Processes".

You may have a look at Chromium Blog: Multi-process Architecture or read the Google Chrome comics Google Chrome

Two key concepts:
  • Just because there are more processes does not mean that they are using more resources
  • Just because a particular software appears to use more resources does not mean that it is less efficient in managing resources

As far I know, chrome opens like crazy processes. That is pretty normal. However, internet explorer is quite different. It might open several process but you may never know if it was required by any action you''ve done or by malware.

Check out your active connections download software here

this software is safe and was written by me to help this forum members to do basic tasks they can not in a command line interface and was put in to a graphic mode interface instead,

Download Link Click Me

Kind Regards

Back
Top Bottom