Is a Intel Pentium processor ok for gaming?

CBJ023

Baseband Member
So I'm completely rebuilding my PC and was planning to install a Intel Pentium 3.0ghz G860 processor. My friend said he didn't think it work well for gaming because he'd never heard of someone using a Pentium for gaming. I'm wondering if it will work ok it's a dual core and I only plan to games and possibly skype at the same time but nothing else. I want to be able to play most games near max. settings or for really taxing games maybe medium-high here's the set-up I plan to run:
- Computer: Compaq Presario 061
- Processor: Intel Pentium 3.0ghz G860
- Graphics Card: ASUS Micro ATX 1066mhz (Socket 1155)
- Ram: (Planning on 6gb)
- Power Supply: Cool master 500W

I don't know much about gaming, but if you won't to play any new games on max or even at all, that processor ain't going to cut it.

" Graphics Card: ASUS Micro ATX 1066mhz (Socket 1155)"

That is not a video card. That would be a couple specs from your motherboard. You need a good dedicated video card for gaming, not onboard graphics. Also that CPU won't be very good for gaming either.

Get an ivy bridge i5 for your cpu. You have a lot of GPU choices, so it really depends on your budget. Post that here and we can give more help.

While a pentium would be ok for some light gaming, an i3 would be much better, not that much more in price, an it should be able to handle anything your 7770 can.

If you're able to delay gratification while you save for an i5, you would have enough processing power if you ever decide to upgrade graphics cards or run dual 7770s.

For now I've decided to pay an extra $20 and get a Intel Core i3-560, if I run this build I've decided I'm probably going to get a PC I found with a AMD Phenom II, 4gb ram, a ASUS Motherboard, and install a Radeon 7770 HD, the total price would be about $410 about $25 cheaper then my idea of rebuilding my old PC

Get a 2000 or a 3000 series i3 the one you're looking at is 3 yrs old

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom