Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-24-2013, 05:05 PM   #1
Beta Member

Default Installing Windows Xp To a iMac

Hi im Morgan, I've been recently searching to install Windows xp onto my iMac.
The thing is that my Laptop has Windows XP installed onto it and i was wondering if i could put the OS from my laptop onto a disc or usb and move it to my imac. But the only problem is that my laptop didn't come with a installation disc so i was wondering if i could use a usb to transfer it from the laptop to the Mac.

I was wondering if the Geniuses of this website could help me solve my problem. Thanks:flowers

The Welsh Computer Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:22 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Send a message via Yahoo to bullzi Send a message via Skype™ to bullzi
Default Re: Installing Windows Xp To a iMac

Not that I'm aware of. You'd need to purchase a license and disc, however doing so with windows XP is going to be a good search.

bullzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:33 PM   #3
..m.0,0.m..
Site Team

Adding to bullzi's comment, you need to check the EULA on that thing. Apple (at least these days) includes a "You can't put other software on our stuff" clause and with the recent pack of retards (congress) voting that changing anything in a technological devices setup is now terrorist hacking... you may want to do a little investigative research into your actions before carrying them out.

but............

If I were to try something like this as an experiment I'd imagine I'd have the below experience.

First, how old is this iMac? If it's old enough to be Apple manufactured parts, forget it... you will never find drivers.

Second, I would need to find a disc and a key. found it on eBay for about $60.

Now I need to install this on an iMac. Being a Windows junkie, I wouldn't even know where to start with their BIOS to boot from a CD. I'm sure that's an easy answer for an Apple user, but I don't have that answer.

Now drivers.... You need to find the parts' make and model inside that thing and make sure you have drivers.

This is completely speculative but it may point you in the right direction. Good luck
Old 07-24-2013, 10:16 PM   #4
Golden Master

You can install OS's on Apple computers using their boot camp tool..
BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:27 AM   #5
Beta Member

My Mac is One of the newer Models, If I can't do the transfer Windows to the mac, is there a specific Windows Installation disk which I have to purchase instead of the standard install disk?
The Welsh Computer Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:38 PM   #6
In Runtime

There are a couple ways to install Windows on your Mac. You can either install it natively or in a virtual machine. Installing it natively (using Bootcamp) would give you the option between booting into Windows or OS X when you turn on your iMac.
Installing in a virtual machine would basically run Windows on top of OS X, so you could run both Windows programs and Mac apps at the same time. The disadvantage to this method is that you have to dedicate a certain portion of your iMac's hardware to running Windows (i.e., a few gigs of RAM would be used by the virtual machine).

Most likely you can't just copy the Windows install from your laptop to your Mac because the license it's activated with is basically tied to that specific laptop. You will need to buy a new license of Windows to install it on your Mac, and if that's the case I'd recommend going with something newer than XP (like Windows 7 or 8, but it will cost more). You'll need to get a full install license and not an upgrade (because you don't have a previous version of Windows installed on the iMac).
Old 07-30-2013, 04:43 PM   #7
Wizard of Wires

Besides the license issue, when windows is installed, it customizes itself to the hardware. To simply make a copy wouldn't work.

setishock is offline   Reply With Quote