Installing Windows XP Home on multiple computers

winterfreshpwnz

Fully Optimized
So, my friend is having some computer issues. They were using an illegal copy of Windows XP (so they say) and it got real messed up so that when they start it up, it tells them Windows doesn't work and that you can only use the internet or something. She's a girl, and isn't very computer literate, but it sounds like it goes into safe mode or something. Anyway, I have a full copy of Windows XP Home 2002 version and was curious if I could let her use it to reformat her computer and install the clean copy of Windows. I have done some research and from what I have read, it seems that "legally", you're only allowed to install one copy with one serial, for one computer, but technically, you could get away with doing it on more than one, even with the same key. The only thing is that microsoft takes a snapshot of your hardware from the first computer so if they see the hardware has changed dramatically, they get suspicious and the second computer can't be activated. BUT, I also read that they stopped doing this in the older versions of XP (not sure exactly what generation, but 2002 is pretty old now I'd say) so they pretty much aren't keeping tabs on everyone. Meaning, we could probably get away with it. But this is just my speculation and I'd like a second opinion. Worst comes to worst she has to go out and buy a copy for 200 bucks or whatever the ridiculous price tag is, but we are trying to avoid that. Thanks to anyone who helps.

WHY WOULD SHE NEED YOUR DISK TO FORMAT??
use the "legal copy".

You said You would let her borrow Your disc, untill she reformats things, and instals a LEGAL one.

Let her just use the legal one to reformat.

That's the thing, she doesn't have a legal copy. The point is to let her use my disc to reformat and to install.

Back
Top Bottom