Installing Linux

The link works for me. DSL is a really mini distro and it cuts out most of the graphical "prettiness" that other distros contain. You might want to try SLAX.

I'm trying to install Gentoo, and I need to know if I'm dowanloading the right thing because there is a lot to choose from. Could someone send me the link to the download? I need the AMD64 link. Or did I do the right thing? i went to releases then AMD64 then 2004.3 and finally package cd. Was that the right one to download? I'm looking to have both XP and Gentoo. BUT, I do not want to loose any of my data on XP now or modify it anyway. Can I partition without loosing any data? If someone could help me it'd be great.

What i'm trying understand about Linux is why there are so many versions. From this thread i learned that Knoppix i believe takes up a lot of RAM. That's interesting information to know, however, i don't understand the whole point of people saying Windows is a prison. I've been around since 3.x and i've never found a real problem with using windows.

I do see the noice points of Linux though. Linux is free. All of you say not a material good, yeah whatever, blah, it's a free OS to me, and that's all i care about. So if you have a computer, you wanna be frugal, use Linux, it will save you 200+ U.S. Dollars.

What I don't understand is why i should move to Linux. I've used the Knoppix live cd, and i didn't see much to it..

Is it possible to get something like Microsoft Office on it?

Is that free?

I got microsoft office free, luckily, but i wonder if there is something similar for linux. I like using MS Word mostly.

Also, people keep speaking about installing Linux as being a hassle.

Would a person have to assign IRQs?
Would a person have to install all their drivers over again?
What exact technical details of installing come into effect most often?

There are so many "distributions " of GNU/Linux because of the fact that the source code to the OS is available and anyone can modify and release it.

Although GNU/Linux being free is a nice thing, what's so important bout it is that it is "free". Free as in free speech on free beer. More information on free software can be found at www.gnu.org.

Microsoft Office does work on GNU/Linux under an software that creates a fake Windows environment in GNU/Linux called WINE. You could call it an emulator of some sort. But very few people actually do that. There's an excellent open-source/free alternative called OpenOffice.org. Its free as in free speech and free as in free beer.

GNU/Linux is not as difficult to use and configure as you imagine. Stuff like IRQs are all automatically configured jsut as in Windows. GNU/Linux has built-in drivers for most hardware. Why dont you get a easy-to-use distro like Fedora Core 3 or Suse and give it a try?

Yeah, if you need an MS Office-type program, I reccomend OpenOffice. It is free as in both beer and freedom.

OpenOffice is to me far better than MS Office. But there are people in this world who can't live without their daily dose of Microsoft goodness...

Well, to be fair, in functionality, OpenOffice doesn't quite reach up to MS Office. Things like WordArt, and others are missing. But it is still pretty amazing how far they got. They can create and edit .doc, .ppt, .xls, and other files.

I'm new to the forums and this is my 1st post, so "hi" to you all.

Now, i've been reading most of this topic and it's been quite helpful to me, as a friend gave me a copy of Fedora Core 2 on a DVD+R. I tried it out on a PII 450MHz and it was so much faster than Windows. I liked how it had many of the applications that i use most (word processing, spreadsheets, mozilla etc.) already installed and it was quite easy to navigate.
My laptop is a VIA C3 1.2GHz, 256MB DDR RAM, 40GB HD with AC97 audio and integrated CLE266 graphics. I had trouble with Windows XP, so i was thinking of installing FC2. But i read somewhere that i'll need a patch for it, due to my VIA C3 CPU. I'm a beginner at Linux, who's only half-way through understanding '.rpms', so i need some help. I don't really want to go out and buy a load of new blank CDs or DVDs, cause i need a lot already to back up my files before getting rid of Windows, so can anyone help me with FC2? Basically, i need help on what video players are best, is it hard for me to install FC2 and how easy it is for Linux beginners. Any help would be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom