Installing Linux

1. What do u mean by saving an image?
2. Revert to Windows as in a dual-boot system? The registry isn't involved at all.
3. Yes you can. Very easy to do so. I have ut2004 on my GNU/Linux comp.
4. What do u mean by internet music? GNU/Linux can play radioblog and streaming music.

1.Meaning to take a snapshot of the desktop
2. NVM, I will use Linux OR Windows...not both
3.cool
4. Like Winamp's shoutcast Radio

1. You can definitely take desktop screenshots. There's a built in feature. Just press the print screen key. You can't do that with Windows=)
2. I would recommend to use a dual-boot system. Windows is still a must for most ppl try trying GNU/Linux out.
4. Shoutcast might be a problem cos it requires Winamp to be installed and you can't do that unless with an emulator like WINE. I don't know how it would work with an emulated winamp. Haven't tried.

Next, comes to my crucial stuff: Flash player LAGS! Everytime I play a Flash movie, the sound and video don't come together and they are slow

I use knoppix lolz has any one ever partitioned their hd and installed linu to the partition? i know that you can boot from the cd but it still would be cool to boot form hd as well so that it can save all my changes and stuff like that

Yeah....just run the install cd not the live cd. If you want to dual boot with windows, install windows first, and chances are your install cd will offer grub to dual boot.

I'm down to two choices as far a distros go, all of which have been mentioned here.

Gentoo, And Fedora Core. Of corse, I will eventually write my own PERSONAL distro of linux, but that might take me a couple of years.

I have some computer experience, and I would consider myself to be pretty good with computers. I will not be writing programs regulary or what not on the computer, but I will be running a lot of different programs, and want to have a control over my computer, not vise-versa.

What do you all think?

Well..if you are not already familiar with gentoo, it will take some getting used to. It will take you a few tries to install it as even the GUI installer it has makes it just as hard, but gentoo is definitely worth it. Whereas Fedora Core is an extremely easy to install distro but isn't nearly as good in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom