Installing Linux

Computergen said:
Haha, sadly LK...I'm starting to side with you about Microsoft better than Linux. But I will NEVER go Intel over AMD. You got me on one agreement but never the second!

What made u change your mind? Just curious=)

I realized that I just liked Linux because it was the underdog. As of this point I like Linux but microsoft moreso. I hate Microsoft as a company ALOT, but I love Windows XP.

Haha. I see. Yeah, alot of people do like GNU/Linux cos it's the underdog and stuff like that. But at the end of the day, the OS has to be good after the initial allure has faded.

I don't think so. I accept that argument with GNU/Linux and Windows cos Windows does make more sense to some people in the long run cos of the hardware and software compatibility. IE and Firefox is just way out. IE is just plain 100% inferior to any other browser out there, not just FF.

Lol, to be hoenst, i find Windows XP much more easier because of the compatibility issues and so forth, but Linux is extremely good, that is, once you get the hang of it, i'm still learning how to install rpograms from tarballs from the terminal (yes, what a newbie i am) ... but hey, once it's all figured out, i'm sure that my opinion will change to one where Linux is on the top and Windows XP the second :)

iamroot said:
I don't think so. I accept that argument with GNU/Linux and Windows cos Windows does make more sense to some people in the long run cos of the hardware and software compatibility. IE and Firefox is just way out. IE is just plain 100% inferior to any other browser out there, not just FF.
Haha; have you checked out Internet Explorer 7?

I'm not sure if this has been added, but for new users, there is Mandriva (Mandrake Linux), which is very user-friendly, it is based off the same packagemanager as Fedora. If you are running older hardware Vector Linux is a good choice (Standard Edition), it is based around Slackware and uses the same packages so you can install software from slackware's repositories. It is extremely easy to install and comes with a graphical slackware package manager (gslapt). I found it to be quite user-friendly.

Ubuntu is debian based and easy for new users to install. It has some of the best hardware detection that I have seen. One draw-back, mp3, mpg, wmv are not supported out of the box as they only use GPL (Gnu Public Licence) software. You can download and burn your own CD from the site, or you can order cds from them (free shipping and handling, and the cd is free too). They have option of getting paid tech support from various companies as well as free tech support. It is definately worth checking out. You can add debian repositories to the graphic package manager (Synaptic) and install any debian binaries.

For the geeks and gurus, there is Linux From Scratch, which is one step up from Gentoo's stage one install. You build everything and you configure it and optimize EXACTLY how you want it. Good documentation with plenty of links to helpful resources but not for those who are not technically minded.

linux is cool, but for some reason i still prefer window. maybe its because its user friendly?
but I studied Suse 9.3 linux for a while now, and it's turning out great

Ok, I will try Linux again...but first:

1. How do I save an image?
2. If I revert to windows, meaning to screw with the registry, Will I be able to do so?
3. can I play Ut2004 on Linux?
4. Will I be able to play internet music on it? -Required-

Back
Top Bottom