Installing Linux

It's crap...

It's crap and it's gone and so is he. I'm sorry he got in here. Please continue with your discussions.

iamroot said:
I've heard that Gentoo's installation process isnt easy to work with. Is it true?

true dat.
in the Linux vs Linux wars, Gentoo was meant to make life easier for Linux users. Redhat was meant to pull Windows ans Mac users over. Knoppix was meant to crash everytime I try to compile something big.......

so basically Gentoo was never designed to be user friendly in the way other os's are. Its meant for the hackers, by the hackers.

I've ordered some free Ubuntu cd's and I am going to dual boot with XP.

Is there anybody who has some experience with Ubuntu?

oh yeah, i forgot to add, Gentoo never achieved its goal of super linux distro

i'm going to check out Ubuntu when i return to my high speed connection.....if i return.....

now about that lindows never use it it's basicly nothing but windows with the name of linux i would segest eather Red hat, penut or mandrake linux. they are good for useing but penut and mandrake are easy to use as for red hat it could do alot ther are things for it but it's a pain to setup.

Gentoo is undoubtfully the most powerful Linux distro out there... Nothing can beat portage. :p

I have tested out a 'flavor' called Cooperative Linux. basically it lets you run Linux on your computer simultaneously with Windows without the need for an emulator. Essentially, its just a modified kernel.

It is a little time consuming to install. It isn't a real distro since it is only the kernel. So you'd have to do a net install of your favorite distro. Their website has directions for this for several distros including Debian, Fedora and Gentoo. Preinstalled images can be downloaded for testing.

Their site.
More info.

lord: they both have their pros and cons. a lot of it is really preferance too.

Back
Top Bottom