Insanely slow Windows 2000 Boot Times

aPanzerIV

Daemon Poster
I recently picked up a old dell with windows 2000 for free.

I replaced a defective CDR, and upped the memory from 64 to 196mb.

I tried booting it up with different memory, different amounts, to find nothing solves this.

I haven't seen if there's any problems after boot up because, well, I've never had the patience for it to do that.

It will load up regularly, and then it will sit at "Loading personal settings", the record is currently about 20 minutes, as it is sitting here right now continuing to "load".

I know it isn't locked up because the blue loading bar continues to flash.

Is this normal for a NT based OS, or is there something I need to do that will speed it up?

I would throw it in the garbage but that's just me.

Check the hard drive, it could be heavily fragmented; something that could explain the excruciatingly long boot time.

I think it may be due to one specific service (Background Intelligent Transfer) running in the background. Microsoft put out a patch for this but it didn't work for me. Here's what you do:

Click on Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools then Services.
Go to the 'Services' tab; find the 'Background Intelligent Transfer' service.
Disable it, apply the changes & reboot.

Or if you don't want to disable it

Background Intelligent Transfer Service. Uses idle network bandwidth to transfer data. For the majority of Users this feature should be of little use & as such I'd recommend setting it to Manual. Those on highly active Networks may benefit from having this set to Automatic, although it may be worth testing out to see if it does.

Click on Start...

I can't get into the OS to do that.

So I waited 3 hours for it to boot, it did not, tried safe mode, nothing.
I put XP Pro on an 80gb disk, and am running disk check on it, nothing came up on it.

Its a 9gb maxtor, but I think I'm going to keep XP on it :)

thanks

Check disk typically doesn't fix this. you need to find a disk scanning utility like seatools to diagnose the drive.

Back
Top Bottom