I'm building a new computer, and need some suggestions for operating systems...

Your best bet is to go to Distro Watch and download the most popular Distro's and install them into a virtual environment and play with each one. Once you find 'the one' you can do a dual boot install next to Windows. I personally don't like to dual boot because I find myself never using one of the installs because it's too much trouble to reboot when I want to switch the OS. Virtual environments (If you have the resources) and KVM's connecting multiple boxes are the way to go imho.

That provides some options there! :D The reference to ubuntu and Knoppix however is seeing the crossplatform capability to access any MS partition or drive while booted in one of those.

On any vm setup you lose access to most if not all internal devices however due to a limited environment. The XP mode run on the new Virtual PC for 7 allows access to all drives including an external hard drive or usb flash drive while Having XP, Vista, or 7 running on a vhd sees only the dvd used for the installation and a floppy drive which most wouldn't even have at this point.

Having tried 7 out on a flash drive you can't even read a disk in the dvd drive! All you see when clicking on the icon for that is the root of the 7 dvd used for installing 7 on a vhd there using SUN's Portable Virtual Box. :eek:

I know that well enough not being able to access any drives with any installation other then the XP mode run on the MS Virtual PC Release Candidate now seen as well as on the beta for that.

The vhd became inaccessible on the Portable VBox there in just over 2 days time for some unknown reason just when things were all set on that. It goes to show just how fragile some custom setups can be!

what's the point of dual booting. if a native xp system suits your needs stick to it. no sense in learning an entire different system because you're a "fan" of it. if you were you'd have read the documentation provided on the distro's site you've heard of and probably already be on your way to experimentation.

if you put in even a little effort you can probably find this question has been answered repetitive for years even on these forums. if you find it difficult to solve simple questions such as "what distro best suits my needs" to the point you have to seek an audience of people on a forum your best bet is to stick with windows. generally most questions and problems have been answered or solved. just have to look. learn this and any distro won't really matter...

best of luck

You're going to find out soon that XP will be going by the wayside while some still run 98, ME, 2000 even 95 on some old systems. The options for dual or multibooting different OSs can serve a variety of purposes besides simply going with the latest "bells & whistles" the next version of Windows has to offer.

For comparing performance values alone between XP, Vista, and 7 someone already took those steps. http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/software/os/0,1000001098,39698941-1,00.htm

There's also a few new features that now being seen in 7 not seen in previous versions of Windows like the "Microsoft demonstrates Multi-touch" video clip you can see in the blog at http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/wi...05/27/microsoft-demonstrates-multi-touch.aspx

As far as XP I have that and Vista alike running on the same drive as the 64bit Windows 7 RC. How is that possible?

vpcsidebyside_1.jpg

I just added Puppy 4.2.1 onto a virtual setup with ubuntu 9.04 and Knoppix 5.3.1 as well as 7 on a different type of setup. For a main OS and especially for running all of your favorites programs the choice comes down to... "7"!
(get those 7s out on 10/22 please! :D )

If you are looking for a Linux environment. I liked using Ubuntu KDE, gnome is just to basic for me. Give em a looksee. OpenSuse is also a nice choice.

Good Luck,
Adrian

Back
Top Bottom