I'm building a new computer, and need some suggestions for operating systems...

airsoftkid

In Runtime
Well, right now I'm gathering parts to build a new computer, and I'm nearly done! :D

I'm trying to decide on what OS I want to use though, and I'm considering a dual boot configuration. I know its going to be Windows XP, but I didn't know what to use as the other OS...

I was considering some form of Linux, just because well... Its Linux, and I'm just kinda a Linux fan...

So here comes the question, what is the best version of Linux? I'm not planning on hacking anything, unless its my own router, and I'm just trying to learn... So BackTrack is kinda out of the question, unless I decided I want to learn more about networking.

Backtrack is kinda my main experience with Linux, but I know there are multiple versions out there. I'm looking for something that is Harddrive bootable, doesn't require a CD or USB to boot.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

I'd shoot for ubuntu 9.04. I use it on a few computers, but I also use Windows 2000 and XP on a few as well. (Windows 2000 still runs just about anything and runs FAST on any hardware relatively new)

I dumped XP entirely here and still have to restore a backup image of a Vista SP2 image created to see how that goes for the free version now seen with a drive imaging program. The new XP mode is run on Windows 7 presently seen in Release Candidate form.

Vista and now 7 can also see a custom install on the new Virtual PC as well as discovering that a live distro will startup by simply starting up the Virtual PC shortcut created for the 32bit RC on a virtual hard drive.

anythingliveonvpc.jpg

Puzzled at what was going on at first I watched the Knoppix live dvd in the drive load up on the Virtual PC without the need to restart the system and boot directly from the disk itself!

anythingknoppixonvpc.jpg

Along with ubuntu or any other live distro I also gave the new Google Chrome OS "Android" live cd a look there as well.

androidonvpc.jpg

Note all this took place on the 64bit RC!

upgrade22win7rc32onrc64vpc.jpg

You can even attach a virtual hard disk and edit the bcd to allow that as a boot option as well. http://digg.com/microsoft/How_to_Create_Windows_7_VHD_at_Boot_to_Start_with_from_Boot

For the next build here the decision was obvious. If you haven't taken a look at the next version the main page is seen at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/

The only thing the other hard drives here are good for now is storage and simply evaluating the backup program used. Everything else is being run on one drive with a single large primary.

I would go for some linux distro. I don't know what you are familiar with, but I would run either Fedora 11, Arch linux, or Ubuntu in that order.

Cheers!

Windows XP pro for sure, I went from pro to home and I wanted to cry. And then either some Linux thing or any of the vistas except the really core versions.

One solution for running multiple OSs on XP as well as Vista is the Virtual PC 2007. Here's the MS description on that.

"If you are running Windows Vista or Windows XP on your physical machine, you can still use Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 to run multiple operating systems at the same time on the same physical computer. Switch between virtual machines with the click of a button. Use virtual machines to run legacy applications, provide support, train users, and enhance quality assurance."
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/support/virtual-pc-2007.aspx

The new XP mode seen for the next version of Windows uses XP Pro there.

"USB Knoppix 5.3.1 install using Windows" http://www.pendrivelinux.com/usb-knoppix-531-install-using-windows/

I have Knoppix and ubuntu on flash drives as well as the live disks. The big advantage of having a VM machine on however is being able to run multiple OSs from one physical hard drive.

For setting a dual boot of two versions of Windows one being XP you still have time to download the Windows Release Candidates for a look at the new version coming out. An excellent guide for setting a dual boot of those two versions can be looked over at http://digg.com/microsoft/How_to_Do_a_Dual_Boot_Installation_with_Windows_7_and_XP

hey, maybe linux mint 7, i was gonna try that today, it's based on ubuntu, so it should be simmilar, i was told the main difference is that it has more drivers, so i can work on more computers (i had issues with ubuntu on my computer)

Mint 7 is still a Debian release. That's why that one is close to ubuntu there. Both ubuntu 9.04 and Knoppix 5.3 look real good for a mix with Windows 7 when that is out.

Your best bet is to go to Distro Watch and download the most popular Distro's and install them into a virtual environment and play with each one. Once you find 'the one' you can do a dual boot install next to Windows. I personally don't like to dual boot because I find myself never using one of the installs because it's too much trouble to reboot when I want to switch the OS. Virtual environments (If you have the resources) and KVM's connecting multiple boxes are the way to go imho.

Back
Top Bottom