ibm with ME problem

muska200

Solid State Member
ok, so i have an ibm with windows ME (2000) that automatically restarts itself after 15 seconds after login. i thought it was the power supply but it was not after i tried two others. the model of the ibm is a netvista with an intel celeron processor. can anyone help me with this. my only other thought that it may be in the boot.

If you leave it on the login screen does it restart then or is it literally only after you log in?

If it's only after you log in I'd guess it's a windows ME thing, possibly a process that's kicking off and causing a BSOD - that really was one of the worst operating systems ever to be burnt to a CD. Does the same thing happen in safe mode? And is the restart caused by a BSOD (turn off automatic restart on system failure to check) or is it a hard reboot that looks like it's been instigated by a hardware fault?

You could also try booting up with knoppix and run that for a while to check if the same thing happens.

Either way, I'd recommend getting rid of ME... I don't know anyone that still uses it!

If you leave it on the login screen does it restart then or is it literally only after you log in?

If it's only after you log in I'd guess it's a windows ME thing, possibly a process that's kicking off and causing a BSOD - that really was one of the worst operating systems ever to be burnt to a CD. Does the same thing happen in safe mode? And is the restart caused by a BSOD (turn off automatic restart on system failure to check) or is it a hard reboot that looks like it's been instigated by a hardware fault?

You could also try booting up with knoppix and run that for a while to check if the same thing happens.

Either way, I'd recommend getting rid of ME... I don't know anyone that still uses it!

it only does it after i log in. and on safe mode nothing differs. it does not sound different when it restarts or act differently signaling no hardware fault. there is no bsod. now with knoppix, what exactly do i need to do? and this is not for me, it is for my cousin to keep track of his dairy records, so getting rid of me is not an option. should i try putting the hard drive in a different computer?

and this is not for me, it is for my cousin to keep track of his dairy records, so getting rid of me is not an option.
Can't your cousin use something other than ME? He may have to, or you may at least have to wipe the thing and reinstall it...!

Knoppix is a live linux distribution, download the ISO image, burn it to a CD, boot from it and then just play around for a bit. If it works ok and doesn't conk out I'd recommend wiping and reinstalling.

Might also be worth checking the SMART status of your disk in case you haven't already, just in case it's the disk that's dying and causing the issue.

Back
Top Bottom