Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 12-08-2010, 03:16 AM   #1
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Default iastor.sys BSOD

I got a Dell Inspiron laptop that somebody want me to help fix. When it boots up, it gets an iastor.sys BSOD. I Googled this, and found out it's caused my Intel's storage driver. The way to fix this is to reinstall the drivers. However, whether I boot up normally or into safe mode, I get this BSOD. Is there a way to install the drivers before windows boot up?

Desktop -Cooler Master NV690/AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE/MSI 880G-E45 Motherboard/2 x 2GB DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaws X/Sapphire HD 5870 1GB GDDR5/CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX/Seagate 7200.12 500GB (OS), Samsung F3 1TB (Storage)/Sony DVD Burner/Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Teny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:51 AM   #2
..m.0,0.m..
Site Team

Default Re: iastor.sys BSOD

So I found this, which links to this set of downloads, which supposadly the 'Floppy Configuration Utility' download has a good copy of the iastor.sys file. If you need some help getting the file to the right place, let me know.

Another site.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:35 PM   #3
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

I decided that it's too frustrating to fix the BSOD. I'm just gonna ask her if she backed up her data, if not, then I will back it up with the Ubuntu live CD. Then reinstall W7.
Desktop -Cooler Master NV690/AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE/MSI 880G-E45 Motherboard/2 x 2GB DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaws X/Sapphire HD 5870 1GB GDDR5/CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX/Seagate 7200.12 500GB (OS), Samsung F3 1TB (Storage)/Sony DVD Burner/Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Old 12-08-2010, 08:43 PM   #4
..m.0,0.m..
Site Team

With a Win 7 install, there's no need to backup data as it will recognize the previous Windows installation and place all the contents of Windows/Program Files/Documents and Settings folders into a windows.old folder.

Edit: Backup is still not a bad idea tho I guess
Old 12-09-2010, 01:47 AM   #5
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

I managed to back up the data, and I tried reinstalling W7 with the "Dell DataSafe Local Backup" I found through the repair console. However, I used it, and when I get to the screen "Preparing for first time use", it BSOD (iastor.sys) again before it finishes.

What now?
Old 12-09-2010, 10:30 AM   #6
..m.0,0.m..
Site Team

It's possible that the Dell installation is corrupt. From what I gather, you're installing Windows 7, not from a Windows 7 DVD, but from the Harddrive, is that correct?
If so, I would try to install again using a Windows 7 DVD.

If memory serves me correct, there's no way to install additional drivers during the Windows installation like you could with Windows XP (Press F6 to install storage drivers). If a regular Win7 installation fails at the same point, well then, you will need to inject the iastor.sys file from a separate download into the appropriate folder on your machine and see if that works.

Before reinstalling using the Win7 media, I would try injecting the .sys file using the links I posted above.