I need help with Ubuntu Linux

kevkid

Baseband Member
For some reason it wont read my ntfs formatted drive it just says that cannot mount or somthing like that
what do u guys think is wrong???

so u have already installed it but can't acces the windows partition? I'm guessing u haven't mounted the ntfs partition yet. Just search google or ubuntu manuals etc for how to mount an ntfs filesystem. Or then I'll post the instructions when I have time. (in something like 2-4h)
edit: I did it in a little different way (probably because I was kinda confused :D) but this is probably the easier way.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MountNtfsOnBoot

kevkid said:
For some reason it wont read my ntfs formatted drive it just says that cannot mount or somthing like that
what do u guys think is wrong???

Try creating a folder in the /mnt director called "win" or whatever else you may want to call it. Then type in at the shell, "mount -t ntfs /dev/hdax /mnt/win"

Substitute the x for the partition number of the drive.

You need root access to do this.

freestyler105 said:
Try re-downloading the files and burning the CD again, it sounds like it was just a bad CD.

Hah, Hah Hah, (VERY FUNNY). I don't believe you know your linux stuff freestyler105. If you use linux often you would know that you need special
software to mount New Technology File System (NTFS) Drives

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

mikerenfrew said:
Hah, Hah Hah, (VERY FUNNY). I don't believe you know your linux stuff freestyler105. If you use linux often you would know that you need special

seems to me that you don't know your linux stuff too well either. No "special software" needed, you just have to mount it using the console commands. Don't know if some distros require "special software" but I doubt it. I know for sure that ubuntu doesn't need any.

mikerenfrew said:

Either your stuff is outdated, or you just aren't knowing that. It's manually mounted.

The Disk manager (I don't remember the name) may do it. Although, it seems you need it mounted.

On some, like Suse, they mount it automatically, but on this one, you need to mount it.

usually, mount it as hda0 if it's the first drive or partition or hda1 if it's the slave drive or second partition. (Unless hda0 is already taken, then you would use hda1)

lhuser said:
usually, mount it as hda0 if it's the first drive or partition or hda1 if it's the slave drive or second partition. (Unless hda0 is already taken, then you would use hda1)

hda is always the master hdd, hdb is slave hdd. Patitions on each hdd are designated with the number, for example hda0 would be the 1st partition in the master hdd.

I used a guide with the same info, worked great. I have 2 NTFS partitions.. soooo

sudo mkdir /media/windows
sudo mount /dev/hda1 /media/windows/ -t ntfs -o nls=utf8,umask=0222
hda1 = my first partition

sudo mkdir /media/other
sudo mount /dev/hda5 /media/windows/ -t ntfs -o nls=utf8,umask=0222
and hda5 was my other partition

Back
Top Bottom