Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-23-2009, 12:56 AM   #1
In Runtime
 
Delux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 296
Send a message via MSN to Delux
Default I Need Help: reformatting without vista cd??

hey guys just wondering if its possible.

reason why i dont have the CD is because i had some family issues and when i left to go live with other relatives it got left behind, now my computer is starting to run slow, and needs a fresh start.

also, i do not have the product key although, i still have the active code on the computer.
__________________

Delux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:33 AM   #2
Daemon Poster
 
AmericanSensei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,144
Default Re: I Need Help: reformatting without vista cd??

Call those other "Relatives" of yours up and have em mail your stuff to ya...Problem solved and less headaches in the future.
__________________

AmericanSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:55 AM   #3
In Runtime
 
Delux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 296
Send a message via MSN to Delux
Default Re: I Need Help: reformatting without vista cd??

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanSensei View Post
Call those other "Relatives" of yours up and have em mail your stuff to ya...Problem solved and less headaches in the future.
lol i know it sounds fake but its serious, i got into a big argument with my dad, bodies went flying, packed up my shit and went to live with my mom (parents are divorced) and i cant really call him up, as i haven't and will not speak to him until.... (no need for my sob story lol)

so theres really nothing i can do??
Delux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:54 AM   #4
In Runtime
 
Sinonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 424
Send a message via AIM to Sinonymous
Default Re: I Need Help: reformatting without vista cd??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delux View Post
lol i know it sounds fake but its serious, i got into a big argument with my dad, bodies went flying, packed up my shit and went to live with my mom (parents are divorced) and i cant really call him up, as i haven't and will not speak to him until.... (no need for my sob story lol)

so theres really nothing i can do??
May I ask who your PC manufacturer is?
It more than likely has a "Recovery Partion" on it. If not many manufacturers leave a recovery disk creator on the PC. Or you can have one maled to you straight from the manufacturer.

I've been In the same boat dude, except with a PS3. I left my PS3 on accident it was the 60gig 1st model with Yellow Dog Linux. My dad wouldnt give it up.
__________________
Diglett get off that chair! You'll scare the neighbors because that doesn't make sense.
Sinonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:19 AM   #5
Wizard of Wires
 
setishock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Not sure
Posts: 10,030
Default Re: I Need Help: reformatting without vista cd??

You don't always have to reformat and start over. There are ways to clean up a system that's bogging down.
1> Go through and see which programs you are not using any more. After checking twice, go to add / remove programs and uninstall it. I do a lot of beta testing so this is my biggest headache. I always head there first.
2> If you don't have CCleaner go to http://www.piriform.com/ and get it. Once installed keep clicking > run cleaner< until it shows 0 items found.
3> Get Find Junk Files at http://www.brothersoft.com/find-junk-files-119783.html Do not change any of the setting other than unchecking >test mode<.
It's a one pass cleaner. Some things it find required a reboot to clear off.
4> Get Auslogics's defragger at http://www.auslogics.com/en/software...efrag/download. Run it. If the drive is in bad shape fragged wise, it may take a while.
Alright now we have the junk cleared off, let's look at getting spyware and adware off.
Get both of these and update the databases before running them.
Spybot S&D> http://www.safer-networking.org/index2.html
MalwareBytes> http://www.malwarebytes.org/
Allow them to remove anything they find.
Now out of Seti's toolbox:
Update your motherboard drivers. That's chipset to some. Old ones may have flaws that make your system work harder than it has too.
Update video and sound card drivers. Same reason as before.

When all done with all of this, defrag again and reboot.

Good hunting...
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:25 AM   #6
In Runtime
 
Delux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 296
Send a message via MSN to Delux
Default Re: I Need Help: reformatting without vista cd??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bringdapain View Post
May I ask who your PC manufacturer is?
It more than likely has a "Recovery Partion" on it. If not many manufacturers leave a recovery disk creator on the PC. Or you can have one maled to you straight from the manufacturer.

I've been In the same boat dude, except with a PS3. I left my PS3 on accident it was the 60gig 1st model with Yellow Dog Linux. My dad wouldnt give it up.
*sigh* also lost my ps3 to...

anyways, i built the computer myself, so no manu shit..

Quote:
Originally Posted by setishock View Post
You don't always have to reformat and start over. There are ways to clean up a system that's bogging down.
1> Go through and see which programs you are not using any more. After checking twice, go to add / remove programs and uninstall it. I do a lot of beta testing so this is my biggest headache. I always head there first.
2> If you don't have CCleaner go to http://www.piriform.com/ and get it. Once installed keep clicking > run cleaner< until it shows 0 items found.
3> Get Find Junk Files at http://www.brothersoft.com/find-junk-files-119783.html Do not change any of the setting other than unchecking >test mode<.
It's a one pass cleaner. Some things it find required a reboot to clear off.
4> Get Auslogics's defragger at http://www.auslogics.com/en/software...efrag/download. Run it. If the drive is in bad shape fragged wise, it may take a while.
Alright now we have the junk cleared off, let's look at getting spyware and adware off.
Get both of these and update the databases before running them.
Spybot S&D> http://www.safer-networking.org/index2.html
MalwareBytes> http://www.malwarebytes.org/
Allow them to remove anything they find.
Now out of Seti's toolbox:
Update your motherboard drivers. That's chipset to some. Old ones may have flaws that make your system work harder than it has too.
Update video and sound card drivers. Same reason as before.

When all done with all of this, defrag again and reboot.

Good hunting...
thanks for all the info, i do have cccleaner, works but just goes unused for me, i really would rather just start fresh.
Delux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:42 AM   #7
Wizard of Wires
 
setishock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Not sure
Posts: 10,030
Default Re: I Need Help: reformatting without vista cd??

Well with out the dvd and the key you're dead in the water. See if a local repair shop will let you buy an OEM copy. You may have to buy some Mickey Mouse something or other, but most shops are pretty laid back about it.

However you can google for magic jelly bean and see if that can pull up your key. Another one is Belarc Advisor that will show the key. After that it's just a matter of getting your hands on a dvd. Make sure the disk is the same type as you had. OEM or retail.
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:45 AM   #8
Site Team
 
Lowndsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,607
Default Re: I Need Help: reformatting without vista cd??

Yeah Setishock beat me to it. I have used Magic Jellybean many times. Awesome program. Then you just need to borrow a Vista installation disc.
__________________
JogaBonito1502: I guess Microsoft is really not to blame. Sorry!

KMATB
Lowndsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:45 AM   #9
In Runtime
 
Delux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 296
Send a message via MSN to Delux
Default Re: I Need Help: reformatting without vista cd??

Quote:
Originally Posted by setishock View Post
Well with out the dvd and the key you're dead in the water. See if a local repair shop will let you buy an OEM copy. You may have to buy some Mickey Mouse something or other, but most shops are pretty laid back about it.

However you can google for magic jelly bean and see if that can pull up your key. Another one is Belarc Advisor that will show the key. After that it's just a matter of getting your hands on a dvd. Make sure the disk is the same type as you had. OEM or retail.
AYYYY!!!, alright, it knows my vista home premium key, so now i have to get a damn DVD.... *sigh*

thanks alot for your help tho lol
Delux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:57 AM   #10
j03
~~~~~~~~
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Wales
Posts: 5,556
Send a message via MSN to j03
Default Re: I Need Help: reformatting without vista cd??

I'm guessing that it's home premium you have. I can only find x64 retail (well, that's the only one with a decent amount of seeds).
__________________

j03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0