Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-06-2013, 02:56 PM   #1
Solid State Member

Send a message via AIM to AveMaria Send a message via MSN to AveMaria Send a message via Yahoo to AveMaria
Default I can't get Pidgin to recognize two plugins I downloaded and installed

Hey everyone. I cannot get Pidgin to recognize two plugins that I downloaded and installed. The one is an Encryption utility that encrypts your messages and the other is Guifications. I downloaded and installed them but it doesn't show up in the plugins list so I can't configure them. Please help. I tried looking on the Pidgin help site but couldn't find anything to help me. I would really appreciate some help. Thanks!

Here's my system information:

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 215 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 6 Stepping 2
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 4863 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9100, 256 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 599384 MB, Free - 550182 MB; D: Total - 10992 MB, Free - 1649 MB;
Motherboard: PEGATRON CORPORATION, VIOLET6
Antivirus: COMODO Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

AveMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:32 PM   #2
Wizard of Wires

Default Re: I can't get Pidgin to recognize two plugins I downloaded and installed

Motherboard Specifications, M2N78-LA (Violet6) HP Pavilion a4316f Desktop PC | HP® Support

Just in case any of you reading this thread was wondering "Who da frack is Pegatron" like I was.

setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:23 PM   #3
Solid State Member

Send a message via AIM to AveMaria Send a message via MSN to AveMaria Send a message via Yahoo to AveMaria
Default Re: I can't get Pidgin to recognize two plugins I downloaded and installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by setishock View Post
Motherboard Specifications, M2N78-LA (Violet6) HP Pavilion a4316f Desktop PC | HP® Support

Just in case any of you reading this thread was wondering "Who da frack is Pegatron" like I was.
Thanks but this doesn't really help me solve my problem.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:24 PM   #4
Daemon Poster

Do you have to use Pidgin? I used it fine for an extended period of time on Xubuntu and Linux Mint, but could not get it to work the way I want it to work on Windows 7. I've given up. This is not a solution for you, too, but I hope to save you some time.
dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:40 AM   #5
Solid State Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale View Post
Do you have to use Pidgin? I used it fine for an extended period of time on Xubuntu and Linux Mint, but could not get it to work the way I want it to work on Windows 7. I've given up. This is not a solution for you, too, but I hope to save you some time.
I strongly prefer to use Pidgin because it has the encryption. If there were another multi-service instant messenger program that is free and has encryption I would use it instead.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:53 AM   #6
Solid State Member

Here is more information:

https://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/Thi...tallingPlugins

It tells me that I need to extract the files to the plugins directory under Appdata. The problem is that there is no Plugins directory. I have no idea what to do.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:13 AM   #7
Solid State Member

Well this is weird. The plugins are recognized and work fine if I run Pidgin as administrator. I guess that's what I'll do from now on.