Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-05-2011, 09:49 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Default HP Windows XP install error

Hey guys,

I have an HP Mini that hard drive crashed. I bought a new HDD and installed it. From Bios it detects it and everything seems fine. When I go to install XP it does all the preliminary install and then when it says To Install New Copy of Windows Press Enter... i hit enter and then it says... XP cannot detect a Hard Drive.... then there is a message that says if Hard drive is correctly installed to check manufacturer specs if there is some system setup that needs to be installed

P.S. i know that's not word for word i'm quoting from memory

I'm not a newb but i've been out of the computer scene for a few years so i'm way behind on how somethings are done these days.... any advice out there?

Frost17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:18 PM   #2
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm
Default Re: HP Windows XP install error

Odds are, the hard drive controller is set for RAID and you are using a SATA hard drive. In XP to get the proper drivers in for the install to work (and recognize the drive) you'd need a floppy disk with the RAID drivers on it and press F6 at the beginning of the install stuff (before the install/repair choices I think). If the computer doesn't have a floppy drive, you can change the controller type to IDE/Normal/Legacy and you should be fine.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:09 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

Even if you change the drive type to IDE/Normal/Legacy, in some cases, the drive controller, depending on the age of the system, may not have native XP drivers, in which case, the F6 / Floppy is the only route you have to go.

USB Floppy Drives are fairly inexpensive (~$30 online, varies) and are a good thing to have on hand in case a floppy drive you already have stops working, or if you need it for this case.
Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:21 PM   #4
Baseband Member

Sorry I've been MIA - just getting back to this... I went into the BIOS settings and did not see any settings regarding IDE/Normal/Legacy. THe only option I have regarding this is SATA Native (option to enable or disable). Will this do the trick?
Old 01-12-2011, 02:03 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

Try either setting. Which motherboard do you have?
Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:38 PM   #6
JCB
Daemon Poster

I agree that the install needs a raid driver, You can create an install CD which includes the driver, take a look at this guide http://www.computerforums.org/comput...cd-103614.html and use nlite to create the CD. You will need to download the driver from the HP website and then select the driver tab within the nlite program
Old 01-16-2011, 08:02 AM   #7
Baseband Member

SO I actually have a copy of Windows 7 which I was told should take care of the driver issue. No changes to BIOS were made, but now I am getting a message at setup saying it needs a CD/DVD device driver. This computer is an hp mini with no cd rom drive. The windows 7 is being installed from an external plug and play usb DVD drive. What Driver could it be referring to?