HP Windows Xp

glixon765

Baseband Member
If i got a computer with Windows Vista and I really had troubles with it and didn't like it at all. Would I be able to use my old Windows XP cd. Problem is the old CD says "For distribution only with a new HP or Compaq PC," and this computer is not a HP or Compaq, would I have problems going back with this CD on the new computer?

Legally, no you can't. But then, I'm not sure a HP branded install CD will work on a non HP branded computer.

Is the Hp cd a recovery cd or is it a windows cd itself? If its a windows cd itself you can use it on a different system as long as it is the only system it is on. Basicly its the same when you upgrade your computer and it asks you to reactivate windows. If you have to call in it was an upgrade you had to do. Im not telling you to go throwing it all over all your systems. Just one or the other.

it wont work. they are made for the individual pc. i made a recovery cd for my compaq and was told not to lose it or give it to anyone else as its only for my pc. besides even if they were lying it wouldnt work because you dont have a hp or compaq. the setup on the disc is different to a traditional xp disc.

i dunno if you can even call it illegal, because it just wouldnt work on another pc

Well I've looked at the installer license and it says that the OS can ONLY run on one computer at a time and not simultaniously soooo....
But that is a loophole you may have to take but just go and buy XP OS of the internet it will get cheaper now that Vista is out

ace777 said:
Well I've looked at the installer license and it says that the OS can ONLY run on one computer at a time and not simultaniously soooo....
But that is a loophole you may have to take but just go and buy XP OS of the internet it will get cheaper now that Vista is out

yea, either do that or if you visit the right sites you can get it for free. thats all im saying ;)

All the license agreement says is that is can only be on one system at a time. If you own the software you can put it on any system you want as long as your not running from machine to machine with it. If its a recovery disk then it wont work on another systme. But if its an install it should work.

Back
Top Bottom